Home Health News Second West Nile Virus found this summer in Reno – KOLO

Second West Nile Virus found this summer in Reno – KOLO

2 min read

RENO, NV (KOLO)– For the second time this summer, a mosquito sample has tested positive for West Nile Virus, the Washoe District Health Department reported Friday. No human cases have been reported.

This sample was from Damonte Ranch and Steamboat Parkway and includes the Rio Wrangler area. The health department will do early morning mosquito fogging on Saturday.

On July 24, the health department reported positive samples from the Hidden Valley and Rosewood Lakes areas.

“With continued hot weather and increased thunderstorm activity, we anticipate more positive tests confirming WNV in the mosquito population,” Washoe County District Health Officer Kevin Dick said in a statement. “Everyone should take precautions from being bitten.”

Tips include:

  • Wear proper clothing and repellent if going outdoors in the early mornings and evenings.
  • Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaradin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR3535. DEET can be used safely on infants and children 2 months of age and older.
  • Make sure doors and windows have tight-fitting screens to keep mosquitoes out.
  • Clear standing water from around homes, including small puddles, pools, planters, children’s sandboxes, as well as plant saucers and pet bowls.
  • Vaccinate horses for WNV.
  • Additional prevention tips are available on the CDC Prevent Mosquito Bites website.

Residents may report night-time mosquito activity by calling the Washoe County Health District at (775) 328-2434. For more information visit the Washoe County Health District’s Vector-Borne Disease Prevention Program webpage.

Copyright KOLO-TV 2019

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

There were no guidelines for fecal transplants. Then, a patient died. – NBCNews.com

In June, after a patient died and another was sickened from a fecal transplant that contai…