Home Health News Fifth person dies from lung illness caused by vaping, CDC confirms – PhillyVoice.com

Health officials confirmed on Friday that a fifth victim has died to due to a vaping-related lung disease that has affected over 450 patients across the country.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a victim over the age of 55 died on Friday related to the severe lung disease caused by the use of e-cigarettes in California. Los Angeles health officials said the patient had chronic health problems, but no other information was released, CBS News reports.

CDC confirmed two others deaths on Friday related to e-cigarettes. The fourth patient was over the age of 65 and passed away in Minnesota after sustaining a lung injury from vaping. The third victim, who was only over 18-years-old, was confirmed in Indiana.

The first vaping-related death was confirmed on Aug. 23 in Illinois. A second death was reported in Oregon earlier last week.

The CDC has confirmed over 450 lung illnesses related to vaping in 33 states and one territory. Most of the victims are males with a median age of 19, according to the Washington Post.

While officials are not sure of the cause of the illness, New York health officials reported on Thursday that vitamin E acetate was found in all 34 samples of marijuana products collected from patients who became ill after vaping. However, health officials said that there has not been a specific link connected with all reported illnesses and deaths.

“We are at a critical fact-gathering stage of this investigation,” said Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products. “More information is needed to better understand whether there is a relationship between any specific products and any specific substances in those products and the reported illnesses.”

Symptoms of the severe pulmonary disease include a cough, shortness of breath or chest pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, and fatigue, fever or weight loss. Some patients reported the symptoms developing over a few days while others reported it happening over a few weeks, according to the CDC.

Health officials warn against the use of e-cigarette products while the investigation is ongoing, especially in pregnant women and young adults.

Follow Virginia & PhillyVoice on Twitter: @vastreva | @thePhillyVoice
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice
Add Virginia’s RSS feed to your feed reader
Have a news tip? Let us know.

1. frolep rotrem

February 6, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Hello.This article was extremely remarkable, especially because I was looking for thoughts on this subject last couple of days.

2. Nana Bodovsky

May 11, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

3. Patrice Tromley

May 12, 2021 at 10:39 am

4. storno brzinol

May 14, 2021 at 1:22 pm

I am constantly looking online for tips that can facilitate me. Thx!

5. King Vandyck

May 17, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

6. Elinor Stiern

May 18, 2021 at 8:44 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/video-tupelov-tu-154-loses-control-and-amazingly-able-to-land/

7. Owen Welter

May 19, 2021 at 10:34 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/how-one-photo-can-show-the-difference-between-bloggers-and-legacy-media/

8. Donna Zampaglione

May 20, 2021 at 9:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Julian Showell

May 28, 2021 at 10:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

10. Keneth Kamrowski

May 29, 2021 at 11:07 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

11. Edwardo Hathcoat

May 30, 2021 at 11:55 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

12. Daryl Backlund

May 31, 2021 at 10:42 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

13. Liliana Charleston

June 5, 2021 at 6:35 pm

14. Geraldo Wages

June 14, 2021 at 1:17 am

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/the-real-con-air-justice-prisoner-and-alien-transportation-system-jpats/