Home Healthy Eating Kids' healthy eating habits: Don't 'yuck' someone's 'yum' – KTVZ

Kids' healthy eating habits: Don't 'yuck' someone's 'yum' – KTVZ

PORTLAND, Ore. – To combat rising obesity rates among children, experts say healthy eating habits are key. One program aiming to put kids on track for healthier food choices is Food Roots in Tillamook County, which partners with six schools in the area.

Its farm-to-school program manager, Rachel Pettit, said one approach they use to encourage better diet decisions among students is to introduce judgment-free opportunities to try new vegetables. As she put it, not “yucking someone’s yum” can help break down the stigma around healthy foods.

“When you say that what someone else is eating is ‘gross,’ that really can hurt someone else’s feelings and have a negative impact on how they view themselves, or how they view what they’re eating,” she said.

Food Roots receives support from the local coordinated-care organization, Columbia Pacific CCO. In Oregon, more than one in 10 children between ages 10 and 17 is considered obese, according to the latest report from the Trust for America’s Health.

Kristen Case, nurse practitioner manager for Multnomah County Student Health Centers, said 30% to 50% of the patients they see are considered obese. The centers are located at high schools across the county, serving kids ages 5 to 18, regardless of whether their families have health insurance.

Case said she is seeing diabetes diagnosed at younger ages, and noted other long-term health effects, from hypertension and liver disease to an association with mental-health conditions. She offered advice to parents for healthier eating.

“This sounds super-simple,” she said, “but I think it’s really important is, if families can sit down together for a meal, and families helping to choose healthy options that are in the house. Being a good role model.”

For Pettit, helping kids choose healthy options at school has translated to change outside the classroom. She’s heard from parents who say their kids were picky eaters – but after a taste test with Food Roots, they want to eat vegetables.

“That really shows to us that what we’re doing is positively impacting these youths and is making its way home,” she said.

The Trust for America’s Health report is online at tfah.org.

1. Elwanda Sheerin

May 11, 2021 at 3:13 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

2. Ramon Kwan

May 12, 2021 at 7:45 am

3. Anton Lathen

June 7, 2021 at 6:42 pm

4. Melvin Hadwin

June 10, 2021 at 12:02 pm

5. Milo Puffer

June 13, 2021 at 11:24 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/fun-with-photos-whats-wrong-with-this-eastern-airlines-boeing-727/

6. Alia Joy

June 14, 2021 at 3:20 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/my-review-alaska-airlines-flight-from-tuscon-to-seattle-in-first-class/

7. Katherine Bruins

June 15, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

8. Ryann Christle

August 12, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Have you ever got a cramp while doing a workout? I have and man I remember sitting on the floor for like 5 minutes straight just look at this https://1bodybuildingfirst.blogspot.com/2017/05/avoid-injuries-exercising-and-working.html