Home Health News FDA approves Gilead's next-generation HIV PrEP pill, Descovy – NBC News

FDA approves Gilead's next-generation HIV PrEP pill, Descovy – NBC News

Gilead Sciences, the drug giant behind the blockbuster HIV prevention pill Truvada, won FDA approval on Thursday to market Descovy — a medication already used by those who have HIV — as its next-generation prevention drug.

The final approval follows an August vote in favor of Descovy as a pre-exposure prophylaxis medication, or PrEP, by an FDA advisory panel.

Descovy is now approved for HIV PrEP in everyone except people who have vaginal sex, since its efficacy has not been studied in this population; for these patients, Truvada is an approved option.

“Descovy for PrEP provides a new HIV prevention option that matches Truvada’s high efficacy with statistically significant improvements in renal and bone safety, which can be an important consideration as people at risk increasingly use PrEP for longer periods of time,” Daniel O’Day, Gilead’s CEO, said in a statement.

Like Truvada, Descovy is taken once daily and can reduce the transmission of HIV by over 95 percent. According to GoodRx, a one month’s supply of Descovy and Truvada both retail for roughly $1,800, though few U.S. patients pay this price as PrEP is covered by private and public insurance.

This year, Gilead announced that a generic version of Truvada would hit the market in September 2020, and the company also promised to donate 2.4 million bottles annually of its most up-to-date HIV PrEP medication — which as of Thursday is Descovy — for President Donald Trump’s proposed Ending the HIV Epidemic plan.

May 17, 201902:23

Gilead has long been buffeted by HIV activists like the PrEP4All coalition over the high price of Truvada and the circumstances of Truvada’s development and testing, which was largely funded by private donors and the U.S. government. That information was first publicized by the Global Health Justice Partnership at Yale University, which wrote “based on our preliminary review, CDC’s Patents for PrEP appear to be valid and enforceable.”

Follow NBC Out on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram

1. frolep rotrem

September 4, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one¦s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

2. Laurel Burkins

May 10, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

3. Emmaline Childers

May 12, 2021 at 3:13 am

4. Jeffry Topel

May 16, 2021 at 7:36 pm

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/in-flight-back-to-seattle-before-stopping-at-milwaukee/

5. Jade Kaak

May 17, 2021 at 9:12 pm

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/02/airline-livery-of-the-week/

6. Valorie Safe

May 19, 2021 at 7:07 am

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/ten-interesting-facts-about-the-genx-engines-used-on-the-boeing-787-dreamliner/

7. Debroah Sjerven

May 21, 2021 at 8:03 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/03/ad-wars-airtran-responds-to-southwests-commercial/

8. Jacqui Oser

May 23, 2021 at 7:14 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

9. Teodoro Bosque

May 28, 2021 at 7:56 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

10. Veronica Shenkel

May 29, 2021 at 8:20 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

11. Janell Stidman

June 3, 2021 at 2:30 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

12. Amos Rahman

June 12, 2021 at 7:58 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs