Home Health News State Fair Hot Tubs Probably Spread Deadly Legionnaires' Disease Outbreak in North Carolina – Gizmodo

Photo: Getty Images

State fairs are a mixed bag in the best of times. But for a hundred or so people who attended the North Carolina Mountain State Fair this past September, it was a nightmare. State health officials have traced an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease to the fair, with the most likely source of infection being contaminated hot tubs.

The fair ran from September 6 to 15. Since then, according to the latest October 3 update from the North Carolina Department of Health, at least 128 people in the state who either attended or worked at the fair have gotten sick with Legionella bacteria.

When Legionella bacteria cause a serious lung infection, or pneumonia, it’s known as Legionnaires’ disease. Even with antibiotic treatment, this form of the disease can lead to lung failure, and around 10 percent of people diagnosed ultimately die. But more often, these infections end up causing a milder, flu-like illness called Pontiac fever. Unfortunately, the majority of cases in this outbreak (over 90 percent) are the Legionnaires’ kind. Eighty-one people so far have been hospitalized, and at least one person has died.

Legionella tend to thrive in freshwater. But natural environmental sources typically don’t expose us to enough of the bacteria to get sick. So what drives these outbreaks are sources of water where the bacteria is heavily concentrated and then easily dispersed through the air. Faulty plumbing systems, contaminated air conditioning units, and yes, hot tubs, are a common culprit behind Legionnaires’.

Health officials said Thursday that many victims had visited or worked near an event center at the fair, and they were much more likely to have walked by a hot tub display. Environmental testing identified the bacteria in a water sample at the location. But there are still questions about how the outbreak became so widespread.

“Finding Legionella in one water sample is an important piece of the puzzle, but it does not tell us how so many people were exposed at this event,” said Zack Moore, an epidemiologist with the NC health department, in a statement released Thursday. “To get Legionnaires’ disease or Pontiac fever, you have to breathe in Legionella in aerosolized water, meaning small droplets like mists or vapors.”

Right now, the hot tubs are the primary suspect, but it’s still possible there might have been other sources of contaminated aerosolized water. It’s also possible that the sickness tally will continue to grow, as more people who attended the fair and became sick are found. But the present danger seems to have passed, as health officials haven’t found any potential sources of infection since the fair ended. Still, the state is being cautious.

In a statement by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services on Thursday, they announced that rentals of the event center would be suspended for the time being, while they “review and implement mitigation plans for the facility.”

Nationally, annual documented cases of Legionnaires’ and Pontiac fever have dramatically increased over time. There were five times as many cases reported—over 7,000—in 2017 than there were in 2000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But it’s unclear how much this uptick can be traced to “real” factors like more people being exposed to the bacteria or the bacteria becoming more virulent, as opposed to doctors and health departments simply getting better at finding cases. Most infamously as of late, an outbreak of Legionnaires’ sickened the townspeople of Flint, Michigan during 2014 and 2015 and killed nine, following an ill-conceived change to the water supply.

So far, according to national surveillance data, there have been over 5,300 reported cases of Legionella infection this year—slightly below the trend for 2018.

1. Tonita Theall

November 12, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

2. zortilonrel

November 13, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I just could not depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts

3. Sydney Lecroy

May 11, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

4. Will Ibasitas

May 12, 2021 at 10:15 am

5. storno brzinol

May 16, 2021 at 12:21 pm

I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thanks , I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website?

6. Kristal Ohrnstein

May 16, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I don’t know about you people but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/03/airline-livery-of-the-week-tap-portugal/

7. Freeda Ostertag

May 17, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

8. Gary Kerkman

May 19, 2021 at 10:17 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/some-thoughts-about-airtrans-flight-attendant-training-part4/

9. Katharina Divens

May 22, 2021 at 7:37 am

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/04/would-you-like-chuck-norris-on-your-airtran-flight/

10. Cornelia Letscher

May 23, 2021 at 9:24 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

11. Geraldo Yeager

May 28, 2021 at 10:13 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

12. Assunta Neyland

May 29, 2021 at 10:54 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

13. Eddy Leiter

May 30, 2021 at 11:42 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

14. Jeanine Wiggett

May 31, 2021 at 10:29 am

15. Summer Rutgers

June 3, 2021 at 4:55 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

16. Chuck Fishman

June 6, 2021 at 11:10 am

17. Miki Albury

June 15, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs