Home Health News Owning a dog can help you live longer, study suggests – USA TODAY

Owning a dog can help you live longer, study suggests – USA TODAY

Attention, dog owners: your furry friend could extend your life.

A study published Tuesday by Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Heart Association, says owning a dog is linked with living longer.

The meta-analysis looked at studies published from 1950 to May 2019 that evaluated dog ownership and its association to mortality. The research included 10 studies that yielded data from more than 3 million participants.

Scientists found dog owners were likely to live longer than those who didn’t have dogs: Dog owners had a 24% risk reduction for death from any cause, according to the study. For people with heart problems, living with a dog had an even greater benefit, authors said.

The potentially life-extending benefits of dog ownership could be traced in part to increased physical activity from walking the dog, authors speculated. The study found dog owners were less likely to die from heart disease compared with nonowners.

Authors said the study’s conclusions could be influenced by other traits, such as avoiding smoking or alcohol.

Can dogs really go vegan?: People feed their dogs meat-free food.

‘A Frankenstein monster’: Why the Labradoodle creator regrets breeding the dogs

Keith C. Ferdinand, professor at Tulane University School of Medicine, said that 10 times more women die from heart disease and stroke than breast cancer. He said dogs address multiple factors that contribute to cardiovascular diseases, including mental and physical health.

“Having a family pet may assist a person with managing stress, increasing activity and decreasing isolation and loneliness,” Ferdinand said. Ferdinand was not involved with the new study.

Boo!: These cute Halloween pet costumes are everything we need

Eating breakfast?: Skipping a morning meal has higher risk of heart-related death

By walking a dog 20 to 30 minutes a day, owners meet the American Heart Association’s recommended weekly activity of 150 minutes of moderate exercise to improve overall cardiovascular health, he said.

He warned against people misinterpreting the study’s results. Owning a dog does not overcome cardiovascular risk factors such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes and smoking.

“The best combination would not only be an active dog owner but also someone who addresses their multiple risk factors,” Ferdinand said.

Study co-author Caroline Kramer, who owns a dog, told USA TODAY in an email that dog ownership should not be taken lightly. Before adopting a dog, people should realize all the “attention, proper feeding, walks” and other responsibilities entailed in pet ownership, she wrote.

Follow Adrianna Rodriguez on Twitter: @AdriannaUSAT.

1. Eloy Acosto

May 10, 2021 at 9:18 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

2. Robby Trapanese

May 12, 2021 at 12:08 am

3. Faustino Fosbrook

May 16, 2021 at 6:42 pm

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/my-review-flying-seaport-air-from-seattle-to-portland/

4. Dessie Tyrol

May 17, 2021 at 9:21 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

5. Noel Trapani

May 17, 2021 at 7:17 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/10/northwest-airlines-flight-188-overshoots-airport-by-150-miles/

6. Tyrone Lanuza

May 19, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

7. Emelia Mcclanahan

May 20, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

8. Sherril Deschner

May 23, 2021 at 6:28 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

9. Forrest Canant

May 29, 2021 at 7:21 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

10. Dante Avellaneda

May 30, 2021 at 8:12 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

11. Danial Dinkel

June 3, 2021 at 1:38 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

12. Carolann Willeto