Home Health News Rising STD numbers in Hawaii linked to online dating: 'More chances to get infections' – USA TODAY

HONOLULU – An increase in sexually transmitted diseases in Hawaii to the highest numbers reported in decades can be linked to the prevalence of online dating, officials said.

Cases of chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis increased in the state, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Sunday.

All three infections were at or near their highest rates in about 30 years, according to the state Department of Health’s Harm Reduction Services Branch.

Health officials recorded 7,732 cases of chlamydia in 2018, up from 5,972 cases in 2008. Gonorrhea more than doubled over the past 10 years from 611 to 1,496 cases. Syphilis infections increased to 180 cases from 38 a decade ago.

Health: CDC reports STDs reach all-time high for 5th year in a row, and it’s killing babies

More connections among more people are made rapidly through online dating services.

“As people rely on digital means of making connections, it can lead to circumstances where they might be more exposed to infection without them knowing it,” said Gerald Hasty, program coordinator for the state harm reduction branch. “More partners, more chances to get infections.”

There has been decreasing reliance on condoms or prophylactics for protection against acquiring or spreading STDs, officials said.

The Hawaiian figures correspond with the national rates of chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis infections, which have risen for the fifth year in a row.

Future of driving: Tech giants team up to tackle self-driving standards

The three diseases do not cause distinct or troubling early symptoms, so those who are infected have “absolutely no idea of it,” Hasty said.

“That sets the stage for the infections to be spread,” Hasty said. “Lack of regular screenings or routine screenings contributes to increasing rates.”

1. BettyClike

October 7, 2020 at 1:15 am

Dating without obligation with beautiful women –
    @46**

2. zortilonrel

November 14, 2020 at 2:05 am

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Ie. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Many thanks

3. stornobrzinol

May 22, 2021 at 4:49 pm

I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thanks , I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your web site?

4. Trent Shirvanian

June 5, 2021 at 12:43 pm

5. Rosena Zoglmann

June 9, 2021 at 1:50 pm

6. Medical Cave Kft

August 13, 2021 at 1:19 am

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…

7. Fókuszpályázat

December 3, 2021 at 11:28 pm

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most persons will agree with your blog.