Home Health News 4th person dead in Legionnaires' outbreak tied to hot tubs at North Carolina state fair – NBCNews.com

A fourth person has died in a Legionnaires’ outbreak that’s been linked to a hot tub display at a North Carolina state fair last month.

Nearly 150 people who attended the N.C. Mountain State Fair were sickened in addition to the four fatalities, according to an update Friday from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. At least 133 people were diagnosed with Legionnaires’ while another eight were confirmed to have a milder form of the disease called Pontiac fever.

At least 94 people were hospitalized in the North Carolina outbreak.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

The fair took place between Sept. 6 and 15, and state health officials said the majority of people who got sick walked by hot tubs at the Davis Event Center during the second half of the fair.

Samples taken from the hot tubs on display tested negative for Legionella pneumophila, the bacteria associated with the disease, according to to Friday’s report. The state’s health department noted that environmental samples were not collected until two to three weeks after the fair’s end, and might not be able to judge conditions while the festival was going on.

One sample from the women’s restroom at the Davis Event Center did test positive for Legionella pneumophila, but scientists determined the strain was genetically different than the strain collected from patients.

The state’s health department noted that testing was ongoing, but that hot tubs have previously been tied to Legionnaires’ outbreaks around the world.

Legionnaires’ is a serious lung infection caused when bacteria called Legionella are spread through water droplets in the air and breathed in, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The disease can be treated with antibiotics, but about 1 in 10 people who are diagnosed with Legionnaires’ dies, according to the CDC.

Symptoms of Legionnaires’ can include coughing, muscle aches, fever, shortness of breath and headaches, the CDC says.

1. Dawne Thiele

February 6, 2021 at 3:37 pm

Thanks I am going to show my friends your page.

2. Arlette Lundberg

April 29, 2021 at 7:47 am

I really like your writing! I love sucking dick btw hmu

3. Patty Disparte

May 10, 2021 at 5:35 am

How can I get more helpful information? I love sucking dick btw hmu

4. Marisha Menck

May 11, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

5. Kallie Chuta

May 13, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Thx so much !! Appreciate the helpful info. I love sucking dick btw hmu

6. Robby Trapanese

June 4, 2021 at 11:03 pm

7. Palmer Linard

June 7, 2021 at 8:33 pm

8. Rosalind Ranney

June 10, 2021 at 7:15 am

9. Brad Gorz

June 13, 2021 at 9:14 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/attn-seattle-peeps-vintage-aircraft-weekend-at-paine-field-now/