Newborn babies don’t have strong immunity, and hence they are prone to health issues. They require constant care 24/7, which proves to be a gruesome task for most parents. Here are a few strategies that can help you manage the newborns better and relieve yourself of some stress and fatigue.
Newborns: Health tips to handle your infant better
- It is always better to wash your hands after coming from outside before handling the baby as babies don’t have a strong immune system.
- While holding your baby, always support the neck and head as the area is soft and not strong enough to withstand the pressure of their head by themselves.
- While changing diapers, wipe the girl baby from front to back to avoid urinary tract infection whereas for a boy, just be careful as the exposure to the air may urge him to pee.
- The red bumpy diaper rash is nothing to be worried about. It subsides when you keep the diaper area dry, apply powder. If the rash stays for more than three days, then be sure to contact a doctor as it could be a fungal infection.
- Give your baby a sponge bath until his/her umbilical cord falls off (it will change colour from yellow to brown or black) and till their navel gets healed completely. But, consult your doctor if you observe any foul smell or discharge coming from the navel or the umbilical cord.
- Babies may swallow air during feeding, which can make them feel gassy, irritated or urge them to vomit out everything, which will be a complete waste. So, instead, invest your time in burping your baby after every 2-3 ounces of bottle feeding and post every 5 minutes if they are breastfeeding.
- Always place your baby on their back while laying them to sleep. This is done to avoid the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
Newborn babies: Tips for new parents to relieve stress
- Eat a healthy diet and take care of yourself before taking care of the whirlwind of work that comes with a newborn.
- The trick is to sleep when the baby sleeps and make a schedule with your partner accordingly to decide who will wake up during the night and who will wake during the day.
- Calmly tell the guests coming to your house to wash their hands before holding the baby.
- Rest when trusted guests visit your house, this is one of the few times when you can escape into a nap while taking care of your infant.
- Ask your parents to help out if you are unable to handle things on a chaotic day as they would be more than happy to hang out with their grandkids.
- The best tip to remember is to always be considerate of your partner as both of you are undergoing the same bouts of tiredness and irritation and it is crucial to share with each other about whatever that is troubling you.
Disclaimer: All the advice and suggestions are based on social sources and excerpts from medical journals. The site holds no liability for any of the information.