Home Health News Breast cancer and heart disease: Emerging cardio-oncology field targets risk in patients, survivors – CBS News

Four months into her fight against Stage 2 breast cancer, Andrea Cianfrani learned she had a new health challenge to conquer. After recovering from a mastectomy, she received chemotherapy to attack the cancer, not knowing that it was also attacking her heart.

The 40-year-old had heart disease, the No. 1 cause of death for breast cancer survivors and women overall. More than 3.8 million breast cancer survivors live in the United States, and in about 10% of breast cancer patients, chemotherapy and radiation can damage the heart. It can happen during treatment, or the issue may develop years afterward, reports CBS News medical contributor Dr. Tara Narula, who is a cardiologist.

“It really did feel like another punch … where you’ve been punched a couple of times,” Cianfrani said. “It was a little bit of a surprise especially because … I wasn’t feeling anything.”

An emerging field called cardio-oncology has developed to protect the hearts of cancer patients both during and after treatment.

“During treatment we actually can see a cardiac dysfunction, namely heart failure, for some of our patients,” said Dr. Chau Dang, Cianfrani’s oncologist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Dr. Dang teamed up with a cardiologist, prescribing medication to protect Cianfrani’s heart, so she would be strong enough to finish chemotherapy.

“Cardio-oncology is a field that is growing,” Dang said. “We’re all working very well together to take care of our patients not only to improve their cancer outcomes as they survive but to improve their cardiovascular outcomes as they age.”

Breast cancer treatment puts the heart at risk in several ways. Chemotherapy can damage the heart muscle that pumps blood, leading to heart failure. Radiation can disrupt normal heart rhythm, and damage both the lining around the heart and the heart valves. The biggest risk from radiation is the development of early and accelerated coronary artery disease, which raises the risk of heart attack.

While some women, like Cianfrani, have no symptoms, others experience shortness of breath, chest pain or decreased ability to exercise.

“What we should not be telling our patients is, don’t get the very treatments that make you beat the cancer in the first place,” said Dr. Javid Moslehi, who directs the cardio-oncology program at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee. “The treatments are effective … but now the issue is, how do we give the drugs more safely? … How do we prevent heart disease?”

Breast cancer survivors could be at risk of heart disease years to even a decade after completion of treatment, Moslehi said. “It is this part that I think we as a medical community need to raise more awareness and do a better job of screening for,” he said.

Three years after completing her treatment, Cianfrani’s heart is strong again, but she will be monitored for any lingering effects of the chemotherapy for the rest of her life.

After treatment, cancer patients should ask doctors to give them a detailed record of their chemo and radiation dosages to discuss with their primary care doctor or cardiologist. They should also speak to them about how to recognize symptoms of heart disease and take preventive measures to lower their risk.

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

1. zortilo nrel

March 21, 2021 at 9:19 pm

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d definitely appreciate it.

2. click to read more

March 29, 2021 at 3:27 am

Greetings! Very helpful advice on this article! It is the little changes that make the biggest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

3. stornobrzinol

May 17, 2021 at 1:26 am

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

4. phong hop cho thue

May 22, 2021 at 2:48 pm

I and my pals were actually viewing the great suggestions located on your web blog and suddenly I got an awful suspicion I never thanked the web site owner for those secrets. Most of the young boys ended up for this reason thrilled to read through them and have in effect in fact been having fun with them. Many thanks for being indeed helpful and also for making a decision on certain essential ideas most people are really desirous to be informed on. My very own sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to you sooner.

5. Renaldo Botello

June 1, 2021 at 12:42 pm

6. Stephine Pih

June 4, 2021 at 2:17 pm

7. Cassondra Denos

June 11, 2021 at 9:47 am

8. Alberto Charry

June 13, 2021 at 3:25 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

9. Blair Bascom

June 13, 2021 at 11:32 am

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/video-3/

10. Jacquetta Levis

June 15, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

11. malaysia casino website

June 20, 2021 at 8:00 pm

Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was searching for!

12. judi bola

June 25, 2021 at 9:30 am

I conceive this site holds some real fantastic information for everyone : D.

13. how to install wordpress

August 7, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

14. Christina Masek

August 13, 2021 at 12:40 am

Have you ever got a cramp while doing a workout? I have and man I remember sitting on the floor for like 5 minutes straight just look at this https://1bodybuildingfirst.blogspot.com/2017/05/avoid-injuries-exercising-and-working.html

15. Pallmalldental

August 21, 2021 at 7:25 am

I do not even know how I finished up here, but I assumed this submit used to be good. I do not know who you are however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already 😉 Cheers!

16. news

August 28, 2021 at 10:17 am

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be at the internet the easiest factor to have in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst other folks consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

17. Organic Phosphine Compound

November 10, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I?¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Reading this info So i am happy to express that I’ve a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most indubitably will make sure to do not overlook this website and provides it a look on a relentless basis.

18. ICH Q7

December 15, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this information. Today bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually annoying. A good website with interesting content, that is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.