Home Health News FDA approves cheaper meds for dogs with separation anxiety – NBC News

FDA approves cheaper meds for dogs with separation anxiety – NBC News

Owners of anxious dogs will soon have a generic option for calming pets with separation anxiety.

On Wednesday, the Food and Drug Administration announced the approval of clomipramine hydrochloride, a generic for the brand name drug Clomicalm, for dogs ages 6 months and up who have fears or underlying anxiety about being left alone. It is meant to be used along with behavioral training.

Separation anxiety is one of the most common behavioral problems in dogs, and is diagnosed in up to 40 percent of dogs referred to behavioral practices in North America, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Reactions to being separated are normal in young puppies, the AMVA says. In slightly older dogs, however, separation anxiety can become problematic. Symptoms can include inappropriate urination and defecation, vocalization and destructiveness. Less common signs of separation anxiety are excessive licking or tail chewing and aggressiveness.

Another FDA-approved drug, Reconcile, is also used for separation anxiety in dogs. Reconcile’s active ingredient is fluoxotine hydrochloride, the same ingredient in the antidepressant drug Prozac.

Follow NBC HEALTH on Twitter & Facebook.

1. Emmanuel Moreta

November 12, 2020 at 12:56 am

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

2. zortilonrel

November 12, 2020 at 11:15 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation however I to find this matter to be really something that I believe I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and very wide for me. I am looking ahead to your subsequent submit, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

3. storno brzinol

May 16, 2021 at 10:23 am

I regard something truly interesting about your site so I saved to fav.

4. Reginald Caffey

June 1, 2021 at 12:42 pm

5. Chadwick Denbow

June 4, 2021 at 2:23 pm

6. Chasity Vallette

June 15, 2021 at 8:40 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

7. Rosina Palms

June 18, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

8. Terrell Haskew

June 21, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

9. Donnell Paulhus

August 9, 2021 at 3:25 am

Some people become unmotivated in the middle of their fitness journey (the most essential part) so here is a great article that explains how to push through those hardships https://fitprmomlife.com/2021/06/25/pushing-through-setbacks-on-your-fitness-journey/

10. Fókuszpályázat pályázatírás

January 30, 2022 at 8:53 am

Howdy are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!