Home Health News Man dies after being licked by his dog – BGR

Man dies after being licked by his dog – BGR

A man in Germany has died and his dog is being blamed for his passing. The dog didn’t bite or attack the man in any way, it simply licked him. The bizarre story is the subject of a new paper in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine, and it’s an important warning for pet owners.

The man first went to the doctor after experiencing three days of fever and difficulty breathing. His condition continued to deteriorate as medical staff attempted to determine the source of his symptoms. Ultimately his doctors narrowed it down to a simple lick from his only pet, a dog.

The man had an infection of Capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria common in pets that can lead to infections in humans. It’s rare for an infection to occur, but when it does, it’s typically after a bite. This is more likely to occur in people with compromised immune systems. The fact that this individual was not bitten, but merely licked, and that he was otherwise in good health makes it a particularly odd case.

Once doctors detected the bacteria they boosted the antibiotic regimen the man had already been on for four days. His condition continued to deteriorate, and the infection spread across his body, consuming his limbs and leading to tissue death across his arms and legs. His brain began to swell and scans of his abdomen revealed that blood flow was being cut off from some organs. His family and the doctors decided to cease treatment and the man succumbed to his infection 16 days after treatment began.

The medical staff emphasizes that this case should be used as a warning to pet owners and doctors alike:

Pet owners with flu-like symptoms should urgently seek medical advice when their symptoms exceed those of a simple viral infection, which in this case were severe dyspnoea (labored breathing) and petechiae (bleeding beneath the skin). Physicians confronted with such patients should ask about contact with dogs and cats.

Such cases are, again, incredibly rare. Still, having a dog or cat does put you at a unique medical risk, and that’s something that all pet owners should understand.

1. zortilo nrel

November 14, 2020 at 12:21 pm

Would you be taken with exchanging hyperlinks?

2. Pedro Uballe

May 11, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

3. Emil Raddatz

May 12, 2021 at 10:25 am

4. storno brzinol

May 15, 2021 at 9:22 am

You completed a few nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog.

5. Emiko Brugler

May 16, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/06/photo-seeing-the-boeing-747-8-intercontinental-from-the-787-dreamliner-mid-flight/

6. Corey Steffani

May 18, 2021 at 8:34 am

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/in-san-francisco-come-join-the-lufthansa-airbus-a380-party/

7. Milo Magallan

May 20, 2021 at 9:35 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

8. Leo Constine

May 21, 2021 at 7:49 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

9. Brandon Galdamez

May 29, 2021 at 10:59 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

10. Wilhemina Flaten

May 30, 2021 at 11:48 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

11. Delmar Yuan

June 3, 2021 at 5:00 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

12. Johnathon Yammine

June 7, 2021 at 11:58 pm

13. Rogelio Konarik

June 13, 2021 at 10:27 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/see-the-boeing-787-dreamliner-in-different-liveries/

14. Guillermo Cappleman

June 14, 2021 at 1:01 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/06/the-boeing-787-gets-delayed-once-again/

15. Dane Zecca

June 15, 2021 at 11:20 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

16. Markita Dillin

June 22, 2021 at 12:44 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

17. Nedra Gariety

August 9, 2021 at 3:20 am

Some people become unmotivated in the middle of their fitness journey (the most essential part) so here is a great article that explains how to push through those hardships https://fitprmomlife.com/2021/06/25/pushing-through-setbacks-on-your-fitness-journey/

18. https://g.page/TheGoddessClinic

August 12, 2021 at 9:26 pm

You are my inspiration, I possess few blogs and often run out from brand :). “Truth springs from argument amongst friends.” by David Hume.