Home Health News New treatment may help slow progression of ALS, research shows – NBC News

New treatment may help slow progression of ALS, research shows – NBC News

An experimental medication may slow the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, researchers reported Wednesday. The research was supported in part by donations from the Ice Bucket Challenge, the social media sensation that raised more than $200 million worldwide.

The drug is not a cure, but it may help slow the inexorable disability caused by ALS, which rapidly destroys the nerve cells that control the muscles that allow us to move, speak, eat and even breathe.

“Patients keep telling me their No. 1 goal is to be able to retain physical function for as long as possible,” said the study’s lead author, Dr. Sabrina Paganoni, a neuromuscular specialist at Massachusetts General Hospital’s Sean M. Healey & AMG Center for ALS. “They want to be able to continue to walk and to use their hands.”

About 20,000 people in the U.S. have ALS at any given time, according to the ALS Association. It usually strikes between the ages of 40 and 70. Once symptoms set in, life expectancy is two to six years, on average.

The treatment studied by Paganoni and her colleagues targets two cellular structures damaged by the disease: the mitochondria, which are the cells’ power plants, and the endoplasmic reticulum, the cellular dump trucks that cart away waste that can gunk up the cells’ machinery.

The multicenter, randomized, double-blind study is the second step — a phase 2 trial — in a three-step process required by the Food and Drug Administration for drug approval. In a double-blind study, neither the patients nor the researchers know who is receiving the drug. If a phase 2 study generates positive results, the FDA typically requires a larger and longer phase 3 trial.

To test the effectiveness of the two-drug combination, the researchers recruited 137 ALS patients who had become symptomatic within the previous 18 months. About two-thirds of the patients (89) received the drug, while the remaining third were given a placebo.

Participants were evaluated on a scale of 0 to 48, measuring the disabilities caused by the disease.

“By the time they entered the trial, on average, patients had already lost 12 points. Their baseline score was about 36, on average,” Paganoni said. “Each question addresses a specific domain of function and is scored on a scale from zero to four.”

For example, for walking:

4 = Normal

3 = Early ambulation difficulties

2 = Walks with assistance

1 = Nonambulatory functional movement only

0 = No purposeful leg movement

During the six months of the study, patients taking the medication lost an average of 2.32 points less than those receiving placebos, a 25 percent better functional outcome.

“A 2- to 3-point change can mean the difference between being able to do an activity independently or with an assistance device,” Paganoni said.

The trial did not show a difference between medication and placebo in outcomes such as time to death, tracheostomy, or permanent intubation, or hospitalization. But that may be because it ran for just six months.

Paganoni suspects that, if it is approved, the new drug would be just one part of a cocktail of medications that would help to keep ALS at bay.

Because the trial showed that the medication might make a difference, all participants were offered the opportunity to stay on it or, in the cases of those who were given placebos, to start on it. The Mass General researchers will track how the patients taking the medication do in the long term.

Paganoni credited the Ice Bucket Challenge for getting her study and others going.

“The Ice Bucket Challenge was an important turning point in the fight against ALS,” she said. “It put ALS on the map and raised awareness of the disease and attracted more investigators and investment to the research.”

With the good news from the trial, the ALS Association hopes to persuade the FDA to allow other patients to have access to the drug, even before phase 3 trial results are available.

“It’s very unusual for an ALS clinical trial to hit its primary endpoint, so we’re very excited about it,” said Neil Thakur, chief mission officer for the ALS Association. “It’s the difference between being able to feed oneself versus being fed or needing versus not needing a wheelchair.”

ALS experts cautioned against rushing ahead without more data.

“The current data are definitely positive, but they need to be replicated,” said Dr. Martina Wiedau-Pazos, a neurologist who is director of the ALS Clinic and Research Center at UCLA. “This study has limitations, such as being small and lasting just six months. I think a phase 3 trial is needed, because, in the past, positive outcomes from phase 2 trials were not confirmed in phase 3 trials.”

Another issue is that the study included subjects who had more rapid disease progression than normal, said Dr. David Lacomis, chief of the neuromuscular division at UPMC in Pittsburgh. “So it’s unclear what the effects would be in the broader ALS population,” Lacomis said via email.

While the new findings are promising, they are not “earth shattering,” said Dr. Erik Pioro, director of the section of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and related disorders at the Cleveland Clinic. “But it does add credence to the idea that other pathways are playing significant roles in ALS pathogenesis.”

Results of the trial were published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Follow NBC HEALTH on Twitter & Facebook.

1. froleprotrem

September 3, 2020 at 5:04 pm

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…

2. Free Private Proxies

January 28, 2021 at 10:23 am

You made some respectable points there. I seemed on the web for the issue and located most people will associate with along with your website.

3. Ivey Judson

June 1, 2021 at 8:43 am

4. Cordia Lena

June 5, 2021 at 5:54 pm

5. Jayna Dinn

June 7, 2021 at 11:19 am

6. Carolyne Biccum

June 15, 2021 at 9:12 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

7. why web hosting

August 28, 2021 at 2:35 pm

You really make it appear really easy together with
    your presentation however I in finding this matter to be really one thing
    that I feel I might by no means understand.
    It kind of feels too complicated and extremely vast for me.

I’m looking ahead for your next submit, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!

8. it quest bars

August 30, 2021 at 4:53 am

Your means of describing all in this paragraph is really fastidious, every one be able to easily be aware
    of it, Thanks a lot.

9. http://t.co/uY2R5aoog7

August 31, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it
    helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

10. http://j.mp

September 1, 2021 at 3:06 pm

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice
    from an established blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it

11. scoliosis surgery on

September 1, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Highly energetic article, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

12. http://bitly.com/3kKtL7d

September 2, 2021 at 6:44 pm

Great goods from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff previous
    to and you are simply extremely magnificent. I really like
    what you have received here, really like what you are stating and the
    way in which in which you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep
    it smart. I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is really a great website.

13. http://bitly.com

September 4, 2021 at 12:58 am

Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what a data!
    present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this website.

14. http://j.mp

September 5, 2021 at 9:46 pm

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the long
    run and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I may just I want to counsel
    you few attention-grabbing issues or advice. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this
    article. I want to read even more things about it!

15. scoliosis surgery the

September 5, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity on your post is
    just cool and that i could suppose you are knowledgeable on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to take hold of your feed to keep updated with impending post.
    Thank you one million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

16. app.gumroad.com

September 10, 2021 at 1:54 am

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.
    I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much
    time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!
    asmr https://app.gumroad.com/asmr2021/p/best-asmr-online asmr

17. quest bars are

September 11, 2021 at 4:23 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of the website is very good.
    quest bars http://bitly.com/3jZgEA2 quest bars

18. coub.com

September 12, 2021 at 10:51 am

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
    Thank you so much! scoliosis surgery https://coub.com/stories/962966-scoliosis-surgery scoliosis surgery

19. www.iherb.com

September 12, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest
    writing a blog post or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I
    feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to send me an email.

I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!
    quest bars https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=quest%20bars quest bars

20. http://bitly.com/3nkdKIi

September 12, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your
    website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a
    applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided shiny transparent concept ps4 https://j.mp/3nkdKIi ps4

21. http://bit.ly

September 13, 2021 at 1:51 am

You’re so interesting! I don’t suppose I’ve truly read anything like that before.
    So great to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject matter.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is one
    thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!
    cheap flights http://1704milesapart.tumblr.com/ cheap flights

22. j.mp

September 13, 2021 at 8:58 am

May I simply just say what a relief to discover an individual who really understands what they are talking about on the internet.
    You certainly understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More and more people should read this and understand this side of the story.
    I can’t believe you are not more popular given that you definitely possess
    the gift. scoliosis surgery https://0401mm.tumblr.com/ scoliosis