Home Health News The 7 U.S. States Dr. Fauci Says Should Be on High Alert Over Labor Day Weekend – Newsweek

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, recently named seven Midwest states that he believes should be on high alert for the novel coronavirus over Labor Day weekend.

The states Fauci named were North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri, Indiana, and Illinois.

“There are several states that are at risk for surging, namely North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois,” Fauci said during an interview with Bloomberg. “Those states are starting to see an increase in the percent positive of their testing; that is generally predictive that there’s going to be a problem.”

According to a coronavirus tracker from Johns Hopkins University, among the seven states that Fauci warned should be on high alert, Illinois has the most confirmed cases, with at least 241,704. Across the other states, there are currently at least 96,854 cases in Indiana, 89,639 in Missouri, 67,692 in Iowa, 63,081 in Arkansas, 14,337 in South Dakota and 12,977 in North Dakota.

Newsweek subscription offers >

In addition to having the most confirmed cases across the seven states on Fauci’s high alert radar, Illinois also has the most deaths, with at least 8,324, according to the tracker. Johns Hopkins reports at least 3,332 deaths in Indiana, 1,586 in Missouri, 1,137 in Iowa, 861 in Arkansas, 169 in South Dakota and 150 in North Dakota.

As the novel coronavirus has continued to spread throughout the U.S., holiday weekends, like the upcoming Labor Day, have been linked to spikes of cases in certain states.

“If we’re careless about it, then we could wind up with a surge following Labor Day,” Fauci added during his interview with Bloomberg. “It really depends on how we behave as a country.”

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testifies during a House Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis hearing on a national plan to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on July 31, 2020
Kevin Dietsch/Getty

Newsweek subscription offers >

According to Bloomberg, Fauci participated in a call this week with Vice President Mike Pence and several governors to warn them about the potential for spikes in cases during the upcoming weekend, urging them to follow guidance on mask wearing and social distancing measures to mitigate the spread.

The ongoing pandemic has forced a number of states to impose mask mandates, in an effort to mitigate the spread, but four out of the seven states Fauci named do not currently have a mask mandate. These states include Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota and Missouri.

On Tuesday, ADM Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health under President Donald Trump’s administration, suggested that if Americans wear masks and follow social distancing measures over the upcoming holiday weekend, “we’re going to be in really good shape going into the fall”.

Across the U.S., the novel virus continues to spread, as there are currently over 6.1 million confirmed cases and at least 186,806 deaths, according to the tracker from Johns Hopkins University.

.node-type-article .article-body > p:last-of-type::after, .node-type-slideshow .article-body > p:last-of-type::after
content: none

1. zortilonrel

November 14, 2020 at 1:31 pm

I am glad to be a visitor of this stark weblog! , regards for this rare info ! .

2. Keenan Wedding

May 10, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

3. storno brzinol

May 14, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Merely wanna comment that you have a very nice website , I enjoy the style and design it actually stands out.

4. web hosting our

August 28, 2021 at 2:15 am

Magnificent site. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thank you to your effort!

5. http://tinyurl.com/n9np6pw

August 30, 2021 at 6:42 am

Good answers in return of this question with genuine arguments and explaining all
    on the topic of that.

6. bitly.com

August 31, 2021 at 4:26 pm

I believe this is among the such a lot important information for me.
    And i’m satisfied reading your article. But should observation on some basic issues, The website style is ideal, the articles is
    truly excellent : D. Excellent activity, cheers

7. our asmr

September 1, 2021 at 10:52 am

It’s nearly impossible to find experienced people for this
    topic, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

8. scoliosis surgery for

September 1, 2021 at 10:59 pm

wonderful put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this
    sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing.
    I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

9. tinyurl.com

September 2, 2021 at 11:29 am

Wonderful work! That is the type of info that should
    be shared across the web. Shame on Google for not positioning
    this post upper! Come on over and talk over with my website .

10. is asmr

September 4, 2021 at 2:18 pm

fantastic issues altogether, you just won a new reader.
    What would you suggest about your post that you
    simply made a few days ago? Any sure?

11. bitly.com

September 4, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Hey there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.

12. for scoliosis surgery

September 5, 2021 at 8:06 pm

What’s up friends, nice piece of writing and
    pleasant arguments commented at this place, I am actually
    enjoying by these.

13. http://app.gumroad.com

September 10, 2021 at 3:08 am

I have read so many content about the blogger lovers but
    this article is actually a fastidious article, keep it
    up. asmr https://app.gumroad.com/asmr2021/p/best-asmr-online asmr

14. bit.ly

September 11, 2021 at 3:40 am

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4
    year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
    her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off
    topic but I had to tell someone! cheap flights http://1704milesapart.tumblr.com/ cheap flights

15. when quest bars

September 11, 2021 at 7:52 am

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks
    like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without
    my permission. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being ripped off?
    I’d certainly appreciate it. quest bars http://j.mp/3jZgEA2 quest bars

16. Botox Edinburgh StJohnClinic

September 11, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

17. http://www.iherb.com

September 12, 2021 at 4:30 am

If you wish for to grow your know-how just keep visiting this site and be
    updated with the most up-to-date information posted here.
    quest bars https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=quest%20bars quest bars

18. bitly.com

September 13, 2021 at 7:48 am

Hi there to every one, it’s truly a pleasant for me to go to see this website, it
    contains priceless Information. scoliosis surgery https://0401mm.tumblr.com/ scoliosis surgery

19. bitly.com

September 13, 2021 at 5:47 pm

I believe that is among the so much important info for me.
    And i’m happy studying your article. But want
    to statement on few general issues, The web site style is
    ideal, the articles is in reality nice : D. Just right job,
    cheers ps4 games https://j.mp/3nkdKIi ps4

20. coub.com

September 14, 2021 at 8:37 am

Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you
    share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your
    work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel
    free to shoot me an e mail. scoliosis surgery https://coub.com/stories/962966-scoliosis-surgery scoliosis surgery