Home Weight Loss Tips Weight Loss: Should One Exercise 7 Days A Week To Achieve Their Target Weight? – NDTV

Weight Loss: Should One Exercise 7 Days A Week To Achieve Their Target Weight?

Weight loss exercises: Having rest days in between can prevent overtraining

Highlights

• Overtraining can increase risk of injury
  • It can negatively affect exercise performance
  • Having rest days can give your body time to replenish glycogen stores

To exercise daily or to not, is a personal choice. However, if you have a certain goal like weight loss or flat abs or bulky arms, etc, then how much you should exercise varies on several factors. One can work for two times in a day for reaching a particular body type. It could be because of health reasons or because of an upcoming project (say a role in a film), for which one gains or loses weight, or gets flatter abs. Results that you achieve in the short-term are usually not sustainable in nature.

Weight loss: Should you exercise every day to reach your goal?

Taking it slowly and gradually, with a few rest days in between can help you achieve your target weight and even body goals, believes celebrity fitness trainer Kayla Itsines.

Also read: Weight Loss Tips: Taking Rest Days Can Keep You From Quitting Exercising- Know How

In one of her recent posts on Instagram, Itsines talks about how exercising every day, for the same duration and in the same intensity can lead to overtraining. Overtraining can affect your exercise performance and increase risk of injury, some of which can stay with you life-long.

The importance of having sufficient rest days cannot be stressed enough. Having rest days can give your body time to replenish glycogen stores. While resting is important to give your muscles a break, recovery helps in preventing sore muscles, cramping, back pain, knee pain, and other symptoms that you might feel after an intense workout.

Also read: Fitness Tips: How Is Rest Different From Recovery? Know From A Celebrity Trainer

So, if you want to get healthier, fitter and lose weight consistently and sustainably, then do have days for rest and recovery. Talking about the risks associated with exercising every day, Itsines says, “Overtraining can cause fatigue and can eventually lead to injury. Rest is so important because it allows your body to recover and repair itself between workouts – regardless of your fitness level.”

hh54i32g

Overtraining can put you at risk of fatigue and injuries that may affect you in the long run
Photo Credit: iStock

Having said that, the fitness trainer asserts that one may not exercise, but still be active on rest days. “But you shouldn’t train,” she adds.

Low-intensity steady-state cardio (LISS) is a workout that can be done on your rest days. It may include walking or cycling or jogging for, say, half an hour, at a fairly slow, but steady speed.

Lifting weights and high intensity exercises should be avoided, though.

So, if it has been a while since you took a rest, think again. You may be doing more harm to your body than good!

Also read: Post-Workout Recovery Tips: Try This Recovery Routine If Sore Muscles Are Giving You A Hard Time

Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.

1. Ute Bobbit

May 10, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

2. Seymour Tesoro

May 12, 2021 at 2:18 am

3. Jacquiline Roysden

May 16, 2021 at 7:30 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/08/eight-airlines-make-agreement-to-use-synthetic-diesel/

4. Dallas Hy

May 17, 2021 at 10:11 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

5. Antonio Dede

May 17, 2021 at 9:04 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/checking-out-the-upper-deck-of-a-united-airlines-boeing-747-400/

6. Lashaun Spires

May 19, 2021 at 7:01 am

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/01/ryan-air-is-told-their-boarding-pass-fees-are-not-fair/

7. Matthew Launius

May 20, 2021 at 5:52 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

8. Hana Chisom

May 20, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Kiesha Perque

May 21, 2021 at 7:57 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/boeing-787-production-at-all-costs/

10. Aaron Zeuner

May 28, 2021 at 7:51 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

11. Joel Branscum

May 30, 2021 at 9:00 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

12. Erin Pereyda

May 31, 2021 at 7:40 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

13. Daisy Estrello

June 3, 2021 at 2:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

14. Kim Tinner