Home Health News Health emergency declared in Elkhart County against mosquito-borne virus – WNDU

Health emergency declared in Elkhart County against mosquito-borne virus – WNDU

ELKHART COUNTY, Ind. (WNDU) – Elkhart County declared a health emergency in order to reduce the spread of Eastern Equine Encephalitis, or EEE virus.

According to our reporting partners at The Goshen News, declaring the health emergency allows officials to start spraying a portion of the county to kill the mosquitoes.

The emergency was declared Friday, and a quickly-arranged meeting took place with members of the county health department and the Emergency Management Agency.

The Indiana State Department of Health also notified Elkhart, LaGrange, Kosciusko, Noble, Marshall and LaPorte counties about a need to spray for mosquitoes.

The plan calls for spraying to begin on Sept. 22 in the northeast corner of the county around dusk. This is according to Karla Kreczmer, the local health department’s environmental health manager.

In the case of inclement weather, spaying will be done Wednesday evening.

Multiple cases of EEE in horses, and some in humans, is what’s driving the decision to spray.

As of Tuesday, EEE appeared in “two horses in LaGrange County and one in Kosciusko County, as well as one person, as a probable case, in LaPorte County,” according to The Goshen News.

Elkhart County has not reported any cases so far.

EEE is considered rare in people but lethal. According to Kreczmer, the death rate among humans is about 33%, and about 90% for horses.

According to the county’s emergency declaration, EEE is “a serious and deadly disease.”

The emergency declaration includes mosquito bite-prevention tips, such as:

• Avoiding mosquito-breeding areas;

• Staying indoors during hours when mosquitoes are active;

• Using bug sprays and repellents;

• Wearing long-sleeve shirts and pants when in areas where mosquitoes are active;

• Emptying containers of standing waters, unclogging gutters, mowing overgrown vegetation, and maintaining screened doors and windows.

The tips were also put in the declaration because the spraying is only being done in a certain portion of the county.

The emergency declaration will expire next Friday, unless county leaders decide to extend it.

Copyright 2020 WNDU. All rights reserved.

1. vreyrolinomit

February 26, 2021 at 6:23 pm

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

2. Wiley Keach

May 10, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

3. Shan Zweifel

May 12, 2021 at 6:16 am

4. Mikki Farrin

May 16, 2021 at 7:53 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/virgin-america-flies-to-canada-eyes-mexico/

5. stornobrzinol

May 17, 2021 at 7:33 am

Throughout the grand pattern of things you get a B- just for effort and hard work. Where you actually confused everybody was in your specifics. You know, they say, details make or break the argument.. And that couldn’t be much more true here. Having said that, let me say to you what exactly did do the job. The text is rather powerful which is most likely the reason why I am taking an effort to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, while I can notice a jumps in reasoning you come up with, I am definitely not confident of exactly how you appear to unite the points which in turn make the actual final result. For now I will yield to your issue however wish in the future you link your dots much better.

6. Leroy Cheatom

May 17, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/washington-times-opinion-gets-it-wrong-airlines-do-not-suck/

7. Penelope Grubel

May 19, 2021 at 7:26 am

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/06/happy-fathers-day-2/

8. Jen Birkenhead

May 20, 2021 at 6:20 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Juan Reen

May 23, 2021 at 7:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

10. Reynaldo Cutshall

May 28, 2021 at 8:10 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

11. Ernesto Rosky

May 29, 2021 at 8:36 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

12. Deidre Perrien

May 30, 2021 at 9:20 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

13. Cornelia Letscher

May 31, 2021 at 8:02 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

14. Romeo Standerwick

June 3, 2021 at 2:45 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

15. Ali Alvarenga

June 5, 2021 at 10:02 am

16. Ramiro Ballantyne

June 7, 2021 at 8:43 pm

17. Chet Fichter

June 9, 2021 at 11:13 am

18. Berry Bartow

June 21, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

19. Scott Ferrett

June 21, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs