Home Health News CDC acknowledges risk of coronavirus aerosols in new guidelines, then reverses course – Los Angeles Times

New federal guidelines that acknowledged the role of aerosols in the spread of COVID-19 were removed Monday from the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which said they had been posted by mistake.

The updated information about coronavirus-laden aerosols, which came to the attention of independent scientists on Sunday, was “a draft version of proposed changes” that had been “posted in error to the agency’s official website,” according to a notice that was added to the CDC site.

New guidance that clarifies the risk posed by aerosols will be posted once the update process is completed, the notice said.

The reversal threatened to further undermine the CDC’s credibility in the midst of a pandemic and renewed charges that the Trump administration is improperly meddling in the agency’s scientific process.

A CDC spokesman said the site had been updated “without appropriate in-house technical review.” The criteria for making such changes are now under review, he added.

For now, the CDC says the coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via tiny respiratory droplets that are produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks. Those droplets may land in the noses and mouths of other people within about six feet, potentially seeding a new infection.

The draft guidance added that the virus could also spread through smaller airborne particles, and that these aerosols could travel farther than six feet in certain circumstances, including in restaurants, at gyms and during choir practices.

Generally no more than 100 microns in size — less than the average diameter of a human hair — aerosols are light enough to remain suspended in the air. That means it would be risky to spend time in indoor areas without proper ventilation, the draft said.

Although virus-laden droplets and aerosols could land on surfaces that are touched by others who then touch their own nose, mouth or eyes, this is not considered a primary way the virus spreads, according to the draft, which bore Friday’s date.

Independent researchers said Monday that they were confused by the sudden reversal.

“I don’t know if it was an honest mistake or if it’s political influence,” said Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer at Virginia Tech and an expert on airborne transmission of viruses.

“I would like to see the website reflect the best available scientific evidence, which is that COVID-19 commonly spreads through inhalation of aerosols, and this means that we need to wear masks even when we’re farther than six feet away from other people, and we need to ensure that our buildings have good ventilation,” she said.

If approved, the draft guidelines would constitute a major shift in the CDC’s understanding of the virus that has claimed almost 200,000 American lives, and how it spreads. It would also mean that the agency’s current advice to stay six feet away from others and to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth wouldn’t be enough to stop the virus from spreading.

Marr and other researchers have tried for months to get the CDC and the World Health Organization to accept evidence that the coronavirus spreads through aerosols. In response to growing pressure, WHO officials revised their guidelines slightly July 9, granting that some outbreaks may have been caused by aerosols, but saying that airborne transmission had not been definitively demonstrated.

On Monday, WHO officials said they were checking with the CDC to better understand any changes in guidelines. Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, told reporters in Geneva that they were checking on “the exact nature of the change, if any” in the U.S. agency’s stance concerning transmission via aerosols.

“Certainly we haven’t seen any new evidence, and our position on this remains the same,” Ryan said.

Scientists worldwide continue publishing new findings. A report last week in Annals of Internal Medicine said aerosolized coronavirus particles could remain infectious for up to three hours.

Jose-Luis Jimenez, a University of Colorado Boulder physicist and aerosol scientist, said Monday that he was surprised to see that the draft CDC guidance described the coronavirus as an “airborne virus.” That term can be understood loosely to refer to a virus that spreads in the air, but is generally avoided because to medical professionals it denotes a category of highly contagious diseases such as measles that require extreme precautions.

“We’re wondering whether some health authority saw that and talked to CDC and said, ‘You can’t call it airborne, it’s not like measles,’” he said. “The word ‘airborne’ is etched in the minds of healthcare workers and brings fear of a certain category of diseases that is very difficult to protect against, which may be one reason for the resistance we’ve seen to the idea of the coronavirus spreading in the air.”

Marr said she was surprised to see that the CDC guidance posted Sunday said that inhalation of droplets and aerosols are the main way the virus spreads.

“I don’t know that I would agree with that, because while we have more evidence for aerosols than any other route, we don’t know how important any particular route is,” she said.

“People have been studying this for decades for flu, and we don’t have any numbers for that either,” she added.

The bottom line is that in addition to hand washing and social distancing, people should wear masks at all times when in indoor public settings, and do everything possible to ensure good ventilation and air filtration, she said.

1. Jonell Leonberger

May 10, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

2. Donna Zampaglione

June 6, 2021 at 11:22 am

3. Earnest Forster

June 7, 2021 at 10:27 pm

4. Dillon Boden

June 14, 2021 at 1:26 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/flight-has-to-turn-around-mid-flight-due-to-airport-closure/

5. Migdalia Dennie

June 22, 2021 at 1:06 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

6. Peter Bungert

August 12, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Have you ever got a cramp while doing a workout? I have and man I remember sitting on the floor for like 5 minutes straight just look at this https://1bodybuildingfirst.blogspot.com/2017/05/avoid-injuries-exercising-and-working.html

7. or web hosting

August 28, 2021 at 5:46 am

Hello exceptional blog! Does running a blog similar to this take
    a lot of work? I have very little expertise
    in coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, if
    you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.

I understand this is off topic however I simply had
    to ask. Thank you!

8. http://j.mp/3gI6uSo

August 29, 2021 at 9:11 pm

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker
    who has been conducting a little research on this. And he in fact ordered me dinner because I discovered it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time
    to discuss this topic here on your website.

9. bitly.com

August 31, 2021 at 5:46 pm

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this enormous article to increase my knowledge.

10. http://j.mp

September 1, 2021 at 5:15 pm

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a co-worker who was conducting a little research on this.
    And he actually ordered me breakfast because I found it for him…
    lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this matter
    here on your internet site.

11. a asmr

September 2, 2021 at 9:12 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide
    credit and sources back to your website? My blog is in the very
    same niche as yours and my users would certainly benefit from some of
    the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
    Appreciate it!

12. the scoliosis surgery

September 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Hi are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog
    world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you
    require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13. bitly.com

September 4, 2021 at 9:42 am

These are actually wonderful ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some good factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

14. asmr of

September 5, 2021 at 2:43 am

It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied
    that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
    Thank you for sharing.

15. scoliosis surgery off

September 6, 2021 at 5:49 am

This post is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out
    more?

16. quest bars my

September 10, 2021 at 4:03 am

Awesome article. quest bars http://bitly.com/3jZgEA2 quest bars

17. http://app.gumroad.com

September 11, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same
    topics? Thank you so much! asmr https://app.gumroad.com/asmr2021/p/best-asmr-online asmr

18. coub.com

September 12, 2021 at 3:05 am

Asking questions are genuinely nice thing if you are not understanding anything
    entirely, however this post offers nice understanding even. scoliosis surgery https://coub.com/stories/962966-scoliosis-surgery scoliosis surgery

19. http://bitly.com/3hkp4jI

September 12, 2021 at 11:33 am

Your means of telling all in this paragraph is in fact
    pleasant, every one be able to easily know it, Thanks
    a lot. cheap flights http://1704milesapart.tumblr.com/ cheap flights

20. www.iherb.com

September 12, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Heya fantastic blog! Does running a blog such as this take
    a large amount of work? I have no expertise in coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyway, should you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please
    share. I know this is off subject however I just needed to ask.

Thank you! quest bars https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=quest%20bars quest bars

21. http://j.mp/3k0xFd5

September 13, 2021 at 8:12 am

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your
    website in web explorer, could test this? IE nonetheless
    is the marketplace chief and a huge section of other folks will leave out your fantastic writing due to this problem.
    scoliosis surgery https://0401mm.tumblr.com/ scoliosis surgery

22. j.mp

September 13, 2021 at 9:28 am

naturally like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on quite
    a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome
    to tell the reality on the other hand I will definitely come again again.
    ps4 https://bit.ly/3nkdKIi ps4 games