Home Health News 'This is deeply concerning,' ex-FDA chief Gottlieb says of CDC coronavirus guidance errors – CNBC

Erroneous and reversed coronavirus guidance from the nation’s top health agency amid reports of tampering from Trump administration officials is “deeply concerning” and could “ruin the credibility” of the agency, Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Tuesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged on Monday it erroneously posted draft guidance that said the coronavirus spreads through airborne particles that can remain suspended in the air and travel beyond 6 feet. The changes came as global health officials at the World Health Organization said there’s no “new evidence” on airborne particles.

“It’s really hard to believe that this was an accidental posting of draft guidance that they had to subsequently pull down 48 hours later that they didn’t realize they had put it up over the course of the weekend,” said Gottlieb, former Food and Drug Administration chief in the Trump administration.

The CDC’s error on Monday came only days after it reversed controversial coronavirus testing guidance on its website that said people who were exposed to an infected person but weren’t showing any symptoms did “not necessarily need a test.” The CDC called the update a “clarification” amid reports from The New York Times that the guidance came from Trump administration officials rather than CDC scientists. The Times cited people familiar with the matter and internal documents.

Those reports follow similar accounts first reported by Politico earlier this month that communications aides in the Department of Health and Human Services requested and received the ability to review and seek changes to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, coronavirus-related studies published by the CDC.

“This is deeply concerning,” Gottlieb said in Tuesday’s “Squawk Box” interview. “You need to be able to accept that the material being put out by an organization, by an agency, represents the view of that agency.” He added that the administration officials could publish their views on the coronavirus but should do so under their signature and not the CDC’s.

“If it doesn’t represent the work of CDC, it shouldn’t have the CDC’s logo on it,” Gottlieb said. “I think that’s the most corrosive event of the last several weeks — seeing information get put up on the CDC website that doesn’t necessarily represent the work of the CDC scientists or doesn’t represent the consensus of that agency.”

However, Gottlieb added that many scientists already believe the coronavirus could spread through the air under the right conditions, and that there was “nothing surprising” with the removed guidance.

“A virus that spreads predominantly through droplet transmission under certain circumstances is going to spread through aerosolization,” Gottlieb said. “I think people need to just assume that that’s the fact, most scientists at this point assume that.”

The World Health Organization has said Covid-19 primarily spreads through respiratory droplets that pass when an infected person coughs, sneezes or breathes. WHO officials said Monday that there are certain situations — people crowded into a small space without adequate ventilation for a long duration of time, for example — where aerosol-based transmission can occur. However, its advice on how to prevent the coronavirus’ spread hasn’t changed.

“It’s about knowing the risks, managing the frequency, intensity and duration of time you spend in the company of other individuals in crowded spaces,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said during a press briefing.

— CNBC’s Will Feuer and Berkeley Lovelace Jr. contributed to this report.

Disclosure: Scott Gottlieb is a CNBC contributor and is a member of the boards of Pfizer, genetic testing start-up Tempus and biotech company Illumina. He also serves as co-chair of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings′ and Royal Caribbean‘s “Healthy Sail Panel.”

1. zortilonrel

February 7, 2021 at 8:43 am

I consider something truly special in this website .

2. Norene Stroble

May 11, 2021 at 6:14 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

3. Isabel Stargell

May 12, 2021 at 8:10 am

4. stornobrzinol

May 14, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your website is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t come across. What a great website.

5. Consuela Hyzer

May 16, 2021 at 9:02 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/can-airline-in-flight-entertainment-keep-up-should-it-try/

6. Erin Eitel

May 18, 2021 at 7:02 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/06/fun-with-airline-advertisements/

7. Bettie Mcnear

May 19, 2021 at 8:48 am

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/03/alaska-airlines-computer-crashes-and-they-shine/

8. Maye Prak

May 20, 2021 at 7:50 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Stephan Berkovitz

May 21, 2021 at 12:33 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

10. Mervin Samrah

May 22, 2021 at 6:30 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/08/the-airline-blogs-livery-of-the-day-iron-maiden/

11. Librada Guerrero

May 28, 2021 at 9:08 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

12. Grazyna Galles

May 29, 2021 at 9:42 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

13. Jeramy Henebry

May 31, 2021 at 9:15 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

14. Nathaniel Perl

June 3, 2021 at 3:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

15. Myrtle Wehrs