Home Health News Coronavirus mutation emerges that may outmaneuver mask-wearing and hand-washing | TheHill – The Hill

A new preliminary study involving more than 5,000 genetic sequences of the coronavirus suggests one of the virus’s many mutations may be more contagious than the others, according to a report from The Washington Post

The study, which has not been peer-reviewed, conducted by researchers from Houston Methodist Hospital, found the strain known as the D614G mutation was responsible for close to every coronavirus infection in Houston this summer, during Texas’s second wave of infections.

Our country is in a historic fight against the Coronavirus. Add Changing America to your Facebook or Twitter feed to stay on top of the news.

The mutation did not make the virus deadlier or change clinical outcomes, according to researchers.

All viruses mutate and most of the random changes to the genetic sequence are considered to be insignificant, however, researchers found people infected with this particular strain had higher viral loads in their upper respiratory tracts, allowing the virus to potentially spread more effectively.

David Morens, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) who reviewed the study, told the Post the findings suggest the virus may have become more contagious and could possibly be responding to health measures such as social distancing and mask-wearing.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RIGHT NOW

TRUMP SAYS HE MAY NOT APPROVE STRICTER FDA GUIDELINES FOR VACCINE APPROVAL

DOGS THAT CAN DETECT CORONAVIRUS WITH NEARLY 100 PERCENT ACCURACY ARE BEING DEPLOYED AT A EUROPEAN AIRPORT

CORONAVIRUS CASES SURGE AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE IN WISCONSIN

TOP EPIDEMIOLOGISTS WARN AMERICA COULD BE HEADED FOR AN ‘APOCALYPTIC’ COVID-19 FALL

“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” Morens told the newspaper, cautioning not to over-interpret the findings from a single study that has yet to be peer-reviewed.

He also said it’s possible the virus could eventually get around immunity when a vaccine is rolled out, similar to the flu.

“Although we don’t know yet, it is well within the realm of possibility that the coronavirus, when our population-level immunity gets high enough, this coronavirus will find a way to get around our immunity,” he said. “We’ll have to chase the virus and, as it mutates, we’ll have to tinker with our vaccine.”

The research is the latest in a series of studies suggesting the D614G mutation is more contagious than earlier versions of the original virus. The mutation has been dominant in almost all places in the U.S., Europe and Latin America.

A report last month claimed the mutation may be more infectious but less deadly than the original virus, as it has been associated with lower death rates.

But other researchers said the conclusion that the mutation is more contagious than others is premature.

“The study provides more evidence for what we already know about this mutation: That it’s the most common variant,” Emma Hodcroft, a geneticist at the Nexstrain project, told Business Insider. “That doesn’t mean the virus is effectively mutating.”

Hodcraft said her team of researchers that has been tracing the coronavirus’s genetic changes have yet to identify a mutation that would change how infectious or deadly the virus is, according to Business Insider.

MORE FROM CHANGING AMERICA

THERE ARE NOW MORE THAN 40,000 CASES OF COVID-19 AT AMERICAN COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES

FAUCI CONTRADICTS TRUMP’S CLAIM CORONAVIRUS AFFECTS ‘VIRTUALLY NOBODY’ YOUNG

CDC SAYS NEARLY 11,000 PEOPLE MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO COVID-19 ON FLIGHTS

US HITS CORONAVIRUS DEATH TOLL OF 200,000

1. Isaiah Ramseyer

November 12, 2020 at 10:22 am

Whats Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Great job.

2. zortilonrel

November 13, 2020 at 8:22 am

I’ve recently started a website, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.

3. frolep rotrem

February 6, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues? A couple of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

4. Jerold Copp

May 10, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

5. Catalina Kientzy

May 12, 2021 at 1:36 am

6. stornobrzinol

May 14, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thank you

7. Mirna Fellner

May 16, 2021 at 7:26 pm

I don’t know about you people but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/video-twilight-zone-by-saturday-night-live/

8. Jaunita Majeske

May 17, 2021 at 10:07 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

9. Xavier Tufnell

May 20, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

10. Nilsa Speis

May 21, 2021 at 7:53 pm

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/delivery-flight-american-airlines-welcomes-first-boeing-737-with-sky-interior/

11. Micah Goldbaum

May 28, 2021 at 7:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

12. Willis Bonini

May 29, 2021 at 8:09 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

13. Carri Neis

June 3, 2021 at 2:22 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

14. slot online 24 jam

October 14, 2021 at 11:37 am

I have learn some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you place to create any such magnificent informative website.