Home Health News Berlin patient: First person cured of HIV, Timothy Ray Brown, dies – BBC News

Berlin patient: First person cured of HIV, Timothy Ray Brown, dies – BBC News

The first person cured of HIV – Timothy Ray Brown – has died from cancer.

Mr Brown, who was also known as “the Berlin patient”, was given a bone marrow transplant from a donor who was naturally resistant to HIV in 2007.

It meant he no longer needed anti-viral drugs and he remained free of the virus, which can lead to Aids, for the rest of his life.

The International Aids Society said Mr Brown gave the world hope that an HIV cure was possible.

Mr Brown, 54, who was born in the US, was diagnosed with HIV while he lived in Berlin in 1995. Then in 2007 he developed a type of blood cancer called acute myeloid leukaemia.

His treatment involved destroying his bone marrow, which was producing the cancerous cells, and then having a bone marrow transplant.

The transfer came from a donor that had a rare mutation in part of their DNA called the CCR5 gene.

HIV resistance

CCR5 is a set of genetic instructions that build the doorway that human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) walks through to infect cells.

Mutations to CCR5 essentially lock the door and give people resistance to HIV.

After the treatment, levels of HIV in Mr Brown’s blood fell to undetectable levels and he no longer needed anti-retroviral therapy. He was in effect “cured”.

But the leukaemia, that led to his HIV cure, returned earlier this year and spread to his brain and spinal cord.

“It is with great sadness that I announce that Timothy passed away… surrounded by myself and friends, after a five-month battle with leukaemia,” his partner Tim Hoeffgen posted on Facebook.

He added: “Tim committed his life’s work to telling his story about his HIV cure and became an ambassador of hope.”

Closer to a cure?

Mr Brown’s cure was too risky and aggressive to be used routinely – it remains principally a cancer treatment. The approach is also too expensive for the 38 million people, many in sub-Saharan Africa, thought to be living with an HIV infection.

However, Mr Brown’s story inspired scientists, patients and the world that a cure could eventually be found.

The International Aids Society (IAS) said it was mourning with “a profoundly heavy heart”.

“We owe Timothy and his doctor, Gero Hutter, a great deal of gratitude for opening the door for scientists to explore the concept that a cure for HIV is possible,” said Prof Adeeba Kamarulzaman, the IAS president said.

The second person cured of HIV was announced earlier this year. Adam Castillejo – known as the London patient – had a similar treatment to Mr Brown and could come off his HIV drugs.

“Although the cases of Timothy and Adam are not a viable large-scale strategy for a cure, they do represent a critical moment in the search for an HIV cure,” said Prof Sharon Lewin, the director of the Doherty Institute in Melbourne, Australia.

“Timothy was a champion and advocate for keeping an HIV cure on the political and scientific agenda.

“It is the hope of the scientific community that one day we can honour his legacy with a safe, cost-effective and widely accessible strategy to achieve HIV remission and cure using gene editing or techniques that boost immune control.”

Follow James on Twitter

1. zortilonrel

November 14, 2020 at 3:04 am

I got good info from your blog

2. zortilo nrel

February 7, 2021 at 2:31 pm

Appreciate it for this post, I am a big fan of this web site would like to go on updated.

3. zortilo nrel

March 21, 2021 at 6:28 pm

Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding design and style. “Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.” by Christina Georgina Rossetti.

4. how to make website

April 7, 2021 at 1:43 pm

You could definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart. “Every man serves a useful purpose A miser, for example, makes a wonderful ancestor.” by Laurence J. Peter.

5. wordpress website 2021

April 7, 2021 at 4:46 pm

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

6. build blog

April 7, 2021 at 5:38 pm

I have been surfing online greater than 3 hours as of late, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It¦s beautiful price enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

7. Adolfo Dunscomb

May 10, 2021 at 9:17 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

8. Erlene Frings

May 12, 2021 at 6:48 am

9. storno brzinol

May 16, 2021 at 9:16 am

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i¦m happy to show that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I so much for sure will make sure to don¦t put out of your mind this site and give it a glance regularly.

10. Lashawnda Cuevas

May 16, 2021 at 8:12 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/boeing-announces-additional-boeing-787-dreamliner-delay/

11. Ron Murty

May 17, 2021 at 11:00 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

12. Blaine Tourtelotte

May 18, 2021 at 2:23 am

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/06/tornadoes-with-american/

13. Amado Bresler

May 19, 2021 at 7:50 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/panorama-photo-paine-field-in-the-snow/

14. Colene Hennig

May 20, 2021 at 6:46 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

15. Jessie Mccallen

May 20, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

16. Willy Valenzano

May 21, 2021 at 8:37 pm

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/heading-to-lax-with-united-airlines/

17. Alfred Merrit

May 23, 2021 at 7:43 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

18. Jeri Coroniti

May 28, 2021 at 8:27 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

19. Horace Schwartzberg

May 31, 2021 at 8:23 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

20. Monty Saurer

June 1, 2021 at 8:42 am

21. Darrel Belland

June 3, 2021 at 3:03 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

22. Samantha Nestle

June 5, 2021 at 7:33 am

23. Jonnie Cardoso

June 7, 2021 at 7:19 pm

24. Bea Valenzuela

June 13, 2021 at 2:21 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

25. Wynona Holdaway

June 13, 2021 at 8:30 am

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/ten-interesting-facts-about-the-genx-engines-used-on-the-boeing-787-dreamliner/

26. black friday hosting sale

June 15, 2021 at 8:33 pm

very good post, i certainly love this website, carry on it

27. look at this website

June 16, 2021 at 10:08 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

28. click here

July 16, 2021 at 3:11 pm

You are a very capable individual!

29. elementor wordpress

July 28, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Hello. Great job. I did not anticipate this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!