Home Health News Man reportedly loses hearing in one ear after contracting COVID-19 – New York Post

A 45-year-old British man has lost his hearing in one ear after catching the coronavirus – prompting experts to warn that the deadly bug may cause permanent deafness among some patients, according to reports.

The man — whose only underlying medical condition was asthma — was referred to an otolaryngologist when he experienced the hearing loss after being treated for COVID-19 at a hospital, The Sun reported.

His condition had deteriorated after spending about a month on a ventilator but improved when treated with remdesivir, steroids and a blood transfusion, according to the news outlet.

But the man soon developed tinnitus — or ringing — in his left ear and then lost hearing in it.

Specialists found no blockages or inflammation in his ear canals. Tests for rheumatoid arthritis, HIV and the flu also came back negative, The Sun reported.

“Despite the considerable literature on COVID-19 and the various symptoms associated with the virus, there is a lack of discussion on the relationship between COVID-19 and hearing,” wrote the authors of a report in BMJ, a peer-reviewed medical journal previously called the British Medical Journal.

“Hearing loss and tinnitus are symptoms that have been seen in patients with both COVID-19 and influenza virus, but have not been highlighted,” they wrote, adding that the virus has previously been detected in cells that line the ear.

“This is the first reported case of sensorineural hearing loss following COVID-19 infection in the UK,” they wrote.

“Given the widespread presence of the virus in the population and the significant morbidity of hearing loss, it is important to investigate this further,” the authors added.

“This is especially true given the need to promptly identify and treat the hearing loss and the current difficulty in accessing medical services.”

The research was carried out at University College London and the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in London.

The case comes after experts at the University of Manchester said patients who have recovered from the coronavirus have reported a deterioration in their hearing as well as other conditions such as tinnitus.

1. Carmelia Friederich

January 12, 2021 at 5:37 am

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thanks a ton However We are experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Cannot enroll in it. Can there be any person finding identical rss dilemma? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

2. marijuana

February 12, 2021 at 4:54 am

The king can do no wrong.

3. China Vardaro

May 10, 2021 at 9:24 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

4. Sudie Toepfer

May 12, 2021 at 12:09 am

5. austin dumpsters

May 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Speech is silver but silence is golden.

6. Demarcus Flockerzi

May 17, 2021 at 9:22 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

7. Clementina Ferrie

May 17, 2021 at 7:18 pm

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/11/veterans-day-a-day-of-thanks/

8. Deja Trider

May 19, 2021 at 6:03 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/06/the-boeing-787-gets-delayed-once-again/

9. Vern Mertins

May 20, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

10. Yessenia Foti

May 21, 2021 at 7:08 pm

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/12/screw-the-peanuts-i-dont-want-to-spend-9-hours-on-the-tarmac/

11. Michal Schaus

May 29, 2021 at 7:22 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

12. Twanna Sher

May 30, 2021 at 8:12 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

13. Valerie Chemin

May 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

14. Donovan Torbert

June 3, 2021 at 1:39 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

15. Santos Filicetti