Home Health News Coronavirus outbreak detected at Waldo County church – Portland Press Herald – Press Herald

The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention has found a coronavirus outbreak at a Waldo County church, possibly linked to a “fellowship rally” that the congregation held between Oct. 2 and Oct. 4.

Brooks Pentecostal Church, in Brooks, has at least 17 cases of COVID-19 among its worshippers, the health agency said Saturday night. The news of the church outbreak comes as Maine reports 26 new cases of COVID-19 statewide on Sunday and no additional deaths.

Videos of services that the church posted to Facebook indicate that on more than on occasion worshippers have gathered closely together without masks. Contact tracing is underway, and the Maine CDC asked potential contacts of infected people to cooperate.

“Close contacts can help limit potential spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 by answering calls, providing complete information, and quarantining when advised to do so,” the agency said in a news release Saturday.

Maine’s cumulative cases rose to 5,939 on Sunday, a net increase of 26 cases since Saturday. Full virus statistics weren’t yet available late Sunday morning, including the official reported number of new cases, which is sometimes higher than the difference in daily totals because the Maine CDC revises its numbers of cumulative total cases based on how many “probable” cases later test negative, and on the results of contact tracing investigations.

One hundred forty-six people have died with COVID-19 in Maine, and 5,145 have recovered from the disease. Maine had 648 active cases on Saturday.

The CDC is advising anyone who spent time at Brooks Pentecostal Church or its affiliated school since Oct. 2 to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, which include cough, fever, shortness of breath, fatigue and body aches, among others.

Anyone who attended a fellowship rally that the congregation hosted between Oct. 2 and Oct. 4 could have been exposed to the virus and should take precautions, the CDC said.

Some of the church cases were accounted for in new reported cases on Saturday, the agency said, but not all. The CDC’s statewide case counts on Sunday may also include some from Brooks Pentecostal – Waldo County saw 10 new cases in Sunday’s count.

The church’s website and social media pages didn’t display information about the outbreak on Sunday morning. Videos of services posted to Facebook indicate that the church has been conducting in-person worship since at least September, when one video showed congregants gathering close together in the pews, without masks.

The church posted multiple videos Oct. 4, some of which appear to show social distancing in the pews, while others videos from that date feature close, maskless gatherings.

County by county in Maine since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been 832 COVID-19 cases in Androscoggin, 56 in Aroostook, 2,425 in Cumberland, 73 in Franklin, 56 in Hancock, 289 in Kennebec, 59 in Knox, 53 in Lincoln, 157 in Oxford, 273 in Penobscot, 10 in Piscataquis, 77 in Sagadahoc, 127 in Somerset, 112 in Waldo, 20 in Washington, and 1,317 in York.

Breakdowns of cases by age and gender weren’t yet available as of noon Sunday.

Effective Oct. 1, the Maine CDC says it will no longer update hospital capacity data on weekends. On Friday, Maine’s hospitals had 11 patients with COVID-19, of whom five were in intensive care and one was on a ventilator. The state had 93 intensive care unit beds available of a total 382, and 252 ventilators available of 318. There were also 444 alternative ventilators.

Around the world on Sunday, there were 39.7 million known cases of COVID-19 and 1.1 million deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. The United States had 8.1 million cases and more than 219,000 deaths.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.

1. Alvaro Dovey

May 10, 2021 at 11:21 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

2. Harriett Bergfalk

May 12, 2021 at 12:39 am

3. Grant Melendy

May 17, 2021 at 7:46 pm

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/09/i-think-we-are-going-to-need-a-bigger-plane/

4. Carylon Altamirano

May 19, 2021 at 6:27 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/breaking-air-forces-chooses-the-boeing-767-as-next-tanker/

5. Niki Woosley

May 20, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

6. Jamar Dool

May 21, 2021 at 7:29 pm

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/is-boeing-trying-to-make-a-real-effort-to-connect-with-fans/

7. Kenneth Greiwe

May 23, 2021 at 6:46 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

8. Monika Stable

May 28, 2021 at 7:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

9. Dona Savarese

May 29, 2021 at 7:45 am

10. Dian Kupihea

May 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

11. Colton Guelespe

June 6, 2021 at 9:06 am

12. Kent Beuchler

June 15, 2021 at 11:57 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

13. Jessie Gillan

June 22, 2021 at 3:12 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs