Home Health News New Research Helps Explain Dramatic Declines in COVID-19 Death Rates – SciTechDaily

Fewer New Yorkers are dying from the coronavirus than health experts had anticipated, a new study shows. Regional death rates have dropped from the highs seen at the start of the outbreak, partially due to a shift in the population contracting the disease toward those who are more resilient.

After New York became the epicenter for the pandemic in early March, with tens of thousands dying from COVID-19, experts had expected that the infection would remain as deadly in the following months.

Instead, a new investigation showed that by mid-August the death rate in those hospitalized with coronavirus-related illness had dropped from 27 percentage points to about 3 percentage points. Led by researchers at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, the study showed that a younger, healthier group of people were getting infected and were arriving at the hospital with less-severe symptoms than those infected in the spring.

However, the researchers’ analysis showed that these factors accounted for only part of the improvement in survival. The rest, they suspect, resulted from health care providers’ growing experience with the coronavirus. For example, physicians learned that resting COVID-19 patients on their stomachs rather than their backs and delaying the use of ventilators as long as possible were more effective practices, say the study authors. Drugs likely helped as well. In addition, other factors such as decreasing hospital volumes, less exposure to infection, and earlier testing and treatment, may have played a role.

“Our findings suggest that while COVID-19 remains a terrible disease, our efforts to improve treatment are probably working,” says study lead author Leora Horwitz, MD, an associate professor in the Department of Population Health at NYU Langone Health. “Even in the absence of a silver-bullet treatment or vaccine, we are protecting more of our patients through a host of small changes,” says Horwitz, who is also director of the Center for Healthcare Innovation and Delivery Science at NYU Langone.

New York was among the first states to grapple with a severe outbreak of COVID-19. By contrast, death rates in more recent waves in southern and western regions of the country, which also had younger, healthier coronavirus patients, have been lower, says Horwitz. However, it had remained unclear whether the virus was less deadly due to the different patient demographics or improved care.

Horwitz says the new study, publishing online next week in the Journal of Hospital Medicine, is the most detailed analysis to date of coronavirus death rates over time. By accounting for age, obesity, and other key factors, the researchers were able to eliminate some explanations from the analysis.

For the investigation, the research team analyzed 5,263 patient records of people treated for COVID-19 at NYU Langone hospitals in New York City and Long Island between March 1 and August 8. Using a range of risk factors for the disease as well as indicators of the severity of the illness upon hospitalization, the study authors developed a model that predicted likelihood of death for each patient.

According to the findings, the likelihood of death was on average 22 percentage points lower in August than in March for most critically ill patients.

The average age of hospitalized COVID-19 patients also dropped from 63 to 47. In March, while 73 percent had chronic conditions like lung disease and diabetes, by mid-June only about 65 percent had such risk factors.

“Other pandemic hotspots should take hope from the lessons learned here in New York,” says study senior author Christopher Petrilli, MD, an assistant professor in the Department of Medicine at NYU Langone. “If we can do better at managing the disease, they can too.”

Still, he adds that the research team next plans to expand the investigation to hospitals outside of New York.

Petrilli also cautions that while death rates are improving, COVID-19 still causes symptoms in some people that continue long after hospital patients are sent home, including fatigue, blood clots, and lung damage.

Reference: Journal of Hospital Medicine.

NYU Grossman School of Medicine provided all the necessary funding for the study.

In addition to Horwitz and Petrilli, other NYU Langone researchers include Simon Jones, PhD; Robert Cerfolio, MD; Fritz Francois, MD; Joseph Greco, MD; and Bret Rudy, MD.

1. zortilo nrel

November 14, 2020 at 2:48 am

Thank you for another wonderful post. The place else may anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the search for such info.

2. zortilo nrel

February 7, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Great post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely helpful info particularly the final phase 🙂 I handle such information a lot. I used to be looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

3. hybrid marijuana strain

February 12, 2021 at 6:45 am

A real family eats the same cornmeal. Bayombe proverb

4. pool demolition

April 24, 2021 at 2:11 am

The rich are always complaining. Zululand

5. Samual Baza

May 11, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

6. Kyle Astor

May 12, 2021 at 10:24 am

7. storno brzinol

May 13, 2021 at 10:07 am

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not really a lot more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You recognize thus considerably when it comes to this topic, made me in my opinion consider it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. At all times take care of it up!

8. rolloff dumpster rental austin

May 16, 2021 at 12:37 am

If you would be well served serve yourself.

9. Loretta West

May 16, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I don’t know about you people but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/03/qa-why-dont-airlines-put-screens-in-engines-to-stop-birds-from-being-sucked-in/

10. Jazmin Mediano

May 19, 2021 at 10:24 am

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/08/pillow-blanket-7-please/

11. Zena Perone

May 20, 2021 at 9:34 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

12. Anderson Meharg

May 21, 2021 at 7:48 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

13. Fausto Cohoe

May 22, 2021 at 7:43 am

I don’t know about you people but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/learning-how-to-do-inflight-service-part-3/

14. Corine Gaschke

May 28, 2021 at 10:18 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

15. Darrel Lafavor

May 31, 2021 at 10:34 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

16. Shani Khairallah

June 3, 2021 at 4:59 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

17. Troy Callison