Home Health News Protest against mask requirements held at Utah Capitol – fox13now.com

Protest against mask requirements held at Utah Capitol – fox13now.com

SALT LAKE CITY — Protesters gathered Saturday at the Utah State Capitol building to voice their opposition to recent changes to coronavirus guidelines from Gov. Gary Herbert and the state health department. Specifically, the guidelines surrounding mask requirements.

“We’re just against the mask mandate,” said Jed Burnham. “Maybe not anti-mask, but against mandating them.”

The new guidelines require masks in counties around the state that are considered to have high levels of coronavirus transmission. Burnham said he thinks it’s not the government’s job to issue such requirements.

“What’s the governments job?” He asked. “It’s to preserve life, liberty and property.”

One of the groups at the protest, the Proud Boys of Utah — who are listed as one of five active hate groups in the state by the Southern Poverty Law Center — compared mask requirements to the government taking a person’s guns away, among other things.

“Those are things that happen in other countries,” Burnham said. He is a self-described “chaplain” of the Proud Boys Salt Lake City chapter. “They happen in socialist countries, but they don’t happen here. This is a free country,” he added.

For some, mask requirements are seen as an effective way to prevent the spread of the virus, especially as Utah sees record high case counts and hospitalizations. But others, like Jacob Isbell, said the mask requirements simply aren’t legal.

“It’s completely illegal,” Isbell said. “Governor Herbert, or even different counties, who have made lockdown orders and tried to make it enforceable by fines, that’s illegal. Let people choose for themselves.”

However, some legal scholars point to several Supreme Court decisions — like the 1905 case Jacobsen v. Massachusetts — that uphold a state’s authority to issue public health mandates.

In a recent press conference, Governor Herbert pointed out the fact that the guidelines are public health orders rather than state issued mandates.

“It’s a matter of an ordinance,” Herbert said. “It’s an order from our Utah health department to help us all be safe and to keep our economy going. There’s nothing bad about this. It’s a good thing.”

Proud Boys members, like Burnham, say the government should focus on balancing life and liberty when it comes to public health guidelines and requirements.

“You can’t preserve life and get rid of liberty and property,” he said. “So, if to preserve life they needed a big facility, they can’t come and take your home even if you have a big house, right? They can’t do that. Well, I suppose [with] eminent domain they could,” he said, clarifying his statement.

There were several different groups gathered at the Capitol on Saturday, but they all shared a similar message. They felt that the new guidelines represent government overreach into people’s lives.

1. Julieta Flatten

March 2, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Very good info thanks so much! I love sucking dick btw hmu

2. Frankie Jukes

May 10, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

3. Cherryl Glembocki

May 12, 2021 at 7:08 am

4. Shaunda Ruschak

May 16, 2021 at 8:25 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/02/video-air-traffic-of-the-united-states/

5. Melodie Lagrow

May 17, 2021 at 11:17 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

6. Dwana Terault

May 19, 2021 at 8:05 am

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/boeing-787-dreamliner-za002-takes-to-the-sky-again/

7. Crystal Brierley

May 20, 2021 at 7:03 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

8. Nolan Meder

May 20, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

9. Buddy Quade

May 23, 2021 at 7:53 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

10. Maudie Dockum

May 28, 2021 at 8:37 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

11. Alethia Melodia

May 29, 2021 at 9:06 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

12. Lamont Wist

June 3, 2021 at 3:14 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

13. Hassie Hiett

June 4, 2021 at 1:58 pm

14. Waylon Donahoe

June 13, 2021 at 11:12 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/video-sikorsky-x2-helicopter-reaches-260kts/

15. Genaro Balnis

June 14, 2021 at 3:04 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/alaska-airlines-celebrates-arrival-of-copper-river-salmon/

16. Cordia Steach

June 15, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

17. katie dubbs