Thanks to a new study, we now know a little bit more about the health effects of drinking diet soda. The study’s purpose was to look at general health. However, scientists found that the intake of artificial sugars causes an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases like a heart attack or stroke.
Around 100,000 people 15-years-old and older are participants in the study from the University of Paris and published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Since 2009, it has used participants’ self-published data from questionnaires that are answered every year or every half a year. Food diaries are also submitted. Plus, around 20,000 participants provide blood and urine samples. (Related: 108 Most Popular Sodas Ranked By How Toxic They Are.)
Based on all this info, a link between sugary and artificially sweetened beverages (ASBs) and the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) has been made. (Things like body mass index, smoking status, or physical activity are not considered in this finding.)
“In this cohort, higher intakes of sugary drinks and ASB were associated with a higher risk of CVD, suggesting that ASB might not be a healthy substitute for sugary drinks,” the study says. “These data provide additional arguments to fuel the current debate on taxes, labeling, and regulation of sugary drinks and ASB.”
All drinks with aspartame, sucralose (which is Splenda), and natural sweeteners like stevia, are considered ASBs in the study. This includes Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Fresca, Fanta Zero, Mellow Yellow Zero, PowerAde Zero, and more.
So, if sugary drinks and their artificially sweetened alternatives are off-limits, what are good beverages to have instead? Here’s What Happens To Your Body When You Drink Green Tea!
Read the original article on Eat This, Not That!
The Unhealthiest Burgers in America—Ranked!
20. Red Robin’s MadLove Burger
19. IHOP’s Mega Monster Cheeseburger
18. Friendly’s Honey BBQ Burger
17. TGI Fridays Signature Whiskey-Glazed Burger
16. Red Robin’s The Southern Charm Burger
15. Perkins BBQ Tangler Burger
14. Perkins’ Patty Melt Pile On Sandwich
13. Red Robin’s Monster Burger
12. Chili’s Southern Smokehouse Beef Burger
11. Uno Pizzeria & Grill Bacon Cheddar Burger
10. Johnny Rockets’ Route 66 Double Turkey Burger w/ gluten-free bun
9. The Cheesecake Factory’s Americana Cheeseburger
8. The Cheesecake Factory Mushroom Burger
7. Johnny Rockets’ Smoke House Double Burger w/ turkey burger on gluten-free bun
6. Friendly’s Double Honey BBQ Burger
5. Chili’s The Boss Burger
4. The Cheesecake Factory Bacon-Bacon Cheeseburger
3. Applebee’s Brunch Burger
2. Applebee’s Whisky Bacon Burger
1. Applebee’s Quesadilla Burger