Home Healthy Eating Food prices increase difficulty of eating healthy – The Bona Venture – The Bona Venture

By Max McAuliff, Opinion Editor

A lot of people tried to reinvent themselves over quarantine, whether it was picking up a new hobby, working out at home or learning a new skill. One thing that many people tried to do was begin to eat healthy. Eating healthy is not as simple as buying healthy food and making it, however.
Somebody that has not eaten healthy for a large portion of their life will not have a palette for healthy food. It is still difficult to eat healthy even after one’s palette becomes accustomed to healthier foods. Healthy food is far more expensive and a lot more work than unhealthy food is.
The most recent numbers show that the obesity rate in America is around 40%. This number is shocking yes, but if looked at deeper it is not surprising. Advertisements for unhealthy foods are far more popular than advertisements for healthy foods.
The McDonald’s golden arches are staples of American society. When thinking of McDonald’s does one think of healthy food? Most likely not. People think of Big Macs, McNuggets and Shamrock Shakes. McDonald’s constantly has advertisements in the media, and those advertisements focus on price and ease of eating at McDonald’s.
Marketing is the biggest reason why 40% of Americans are obese and its because marketers are good at their job. Strategically airing Buffalo Wild Wings and Budweiser commercials on Sunday afternoons during NFL football is marketing gold. Marketers do a great job at marketing their products. The only thing is that a lot of these products are unhealthy.
If one wants to eat healthy, they must make the food themselves and that’s where things can get expensive. To have a nutritious meal with protein, grains and vegetables, one would have to spend money on all those things. Buying salmon, rice and vegetables can be more expensive and a lot more work than going to McDonald’s for a Big Mac.
The biggest deterrent to eating healthy is money. Buying the ingredients to make homemade lasagna is going to cost more money than buying a frozen lasagna and simply putting it in the oven. Healthy snack foods are also another expensive item, contrary to a bag of potato chips or pretzels.
People who workout might want to start working protein supplements into their diet which becomes another expense. A 2.5 lb. container of Muscle Milk protein powder comes out to a whopping $30.
The unfortunate fact of the matter is that eating healthy is not cheap. One must be ready to fully commit to a healthy lifestyle if they want to journey down that road.

mcaulimr18@bonaventure.edu

1. Marcel Yarrell

May 10, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

2. Rasheeda Deller

May 12, 2021 at 3:15 am

3. Maryam Buis

May 16, 2021 at 7:37 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/03/photo-of-airbus-a350-xwb-first-landing-gear-installed/

4. Chadwick Garsia

May 17, 2021 at 10:18 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

5. Felix Fialho

May 17, 2021 at 9:13 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/delta-airlines-fined-375000-for-bumping/

6. Virgilio Luangrath

May 20, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

7. Oliver Vranes

May 23, 2021 at 7:15 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

8. Anastacia Lambino

May 29, 2021 at 8:21 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

9. Courtney Laudadio

May 31, 2021 at 7:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

10. Dee Reategui

June 1, 2021 at 8:17 am

11. Lashell Grinnell

June 3, 2021 at 2:32 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

12. Kermit Habina

June 4, 2021 at 11:20 am

13. Emerson Westenbarger

June 10, 2021 at 8:44 am

14. Carolynn Desmith

June 12, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

15. Vito Darveau

June 13, 2021 at 9:11 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/06/tornadoes-with-american/

16. Elda Allen

June 13, 2021 at 9:37 am

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/smile-get-your-photo-taken-with-a-southwest-airlines-santa/

17. Terisa Kandoll

June 13, 2021 at 9:44 pm

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/03/flying-around-seattle-with-seattle-helitours/

18. Bertha Liekhus

June 13, 2021 at 11:41 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/06/harry-windsor-boeing/