Home Health News Regeneron halts trial of COVID-19 antibody drug in sickest hospitalized patients | TheHill – The Hill

Regeneron Pharmaceuticals said Friday it has paused a clinical study of its antibody drug to treat some of the sickest COVID-19 patients because of a potential safety concern.

The recommendation from an independent monitoring board marks the second time a clinical trial of an experimental coronavirus antibody drug has been paused because of safety issues.

Regeneron said it is pausing enrollment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients receiving mechanical ventilation or intense oxygen after the independent monitoring committee observed “a potential safety signal and an unfavorable risk/benefit profile at this time.”

The monitoring board recommended collecting additional data on the patients already enrolled.

The pause does not impact other studies of Regeneron’s antibody drug, which is under consideration for emergency use authorization in mild-to-moderate outpatients at high risk for poor outcomes.

Earlier this week, the company said a separate study definitively showed a significant reduction in viral load and the need for further medical visits.

The data monitoring board also recommended continuing trial enrollment of hospitalized patients who require little or no oxygen.

Earlier this month, a different monitoring board recommended pausing enrollment in a study testing an Eli Lilly antibody drug to investigate a possible safety issue in hospitalized patients.

On Monday, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), which is funding the study, announced there was no longer a safety issue, but the study had been stopped because the board found little clinical benefit in the treatment.

Monoclonal antibodies are lab-generated versions of one of the human body’s main defenses against pathogens.

No antibody drugs have been authorized for use yet, but they made headlines recently after President TrumpDonald John TrumpBiden campaign slams Facebook after thousands of ads blocked by platform’s pre-election blackout Mnuchin says he learned of Pelosi’s letter to him about stimulus talks ‘in the press’ Harris to travel to Texas Friday after polls show tie between Trump, Biden MORE said he received Regeneron’s antibody cocktail and touted it as a “miracle” and a “cure.”

While treatments are improving, there is no cure, and the available treatments depend on how sick someone is.

NIAID Director Anthony FauciAnthony FauciListening to experts isn’t perfect, but ignoring them is far worse Fauci: Maybe 2022 before US sees ‘some semblances of normality’ Fauci expresses support for national mask mandate MORE this week said treatment is all about timing; dexamethasone and other steroids can help with severely ill patients on ventilation, as can the antiviral drug remdesivir. Studies with experimental antibody treatments, on the other hand, suggest they are most effective when given on an outpatient basis to someone with mild symptoms.

1. Damien Rauser

November 12, 2020 at 8:47 am

Great write-up, I?¦m normal visitor of one?¦s site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

2. zortilo nrel

November 13, 2020 at 6:47 am

I am glad to be a visitant of this thoroughgoing website! , thanks for this rare info ! .

3. vreyro linomit

February 26, 2021 at 11:36 am

Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in web explorer, would test this?K IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a huge component of other people will miss your excellent writing because of this problem.

4. Santiago Gorn

May 11, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

5. Lindsay Marion

May 12, 2021 at 10:39 am

6. storno brzinol

May 16, 2021 at 6:57 pm

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

7. Catina Pankake

May 16, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I don’t know about you people but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/10/the-airline-blogs-livery-of-the-day-lets-tango/

8. Elnora Shiba

May 17, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

9. Ron Abdulaziz

May 19, 2021 at 10:34 am

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/classic-video-pan-am-boeing-707-arrives-at-jfk-in-1950s/

10. Malena Hodak

May 20, 2021 at 9:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

11. Gail Maugeri

May 21, 2021 at 7:59 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

12. Lorretta Riera

May 22, 2021 at 7:51 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/06/the-airline-blogs-video-of-the-day-air-new-zealand/

13. Bernardina Zwack

May 28, 2021 at 10:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

14. Arletta Billington

May 29, 2021 at 11:07 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

15. Russel Trachte

May 30, 2021 at 11:55 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

16. Ming Kroon

May 31, 2021 at 10:42 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

17. Ashlea Uzelac

June 1, 2021 at 8:17 am

18. Merrill Artzer

June 3, 2021 at 5:07 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

19. Naomi Spiess

June 4, 2021 at 8:49 am

20. Benjamin Schakel

June 21, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

21. Wilbert Bramblett

August 12, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Have you ever got a cramp while doing a workout? I have and man I remember sitting on the floor for like 5 minutes straight just look at this https://1bodybuildingfirst.blogspot.com/2017/05/avoid-injuries-exercising-and-working.html