Want to speed up your weight loss? Try these tips to rev up your metabolism and burn belly fat& |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Many people think that having a high metabolism is the key to losing weight and keeping it off
- Research has shown that your metabolism slows down as your get older, making it easier for you to gain weight and hard to lose it
- There are many things you can do to help increase your metablosim, although you can’t control some factors like age
New Delhi: You’ve probably heard people say that they’re not seeing desired results despite efforts to lose weight, because they have a ‘slow metabolism’. It’s a common belief that having a higher metabolism can help you burn more calories and shed pounds faster, while also providing your body with more energy. It’s true that some people have a faster metabolism than others, however, how fast your body burns calories may depend on several factors. Yet, there’s little evidence to support the claim that a sluggish metabolism is a reason for your weight gain.
If you’re concerned about your weight and slow metabolism, there are steps you can take to help you get a flat tummy and feel better. Basically, metabolism is a term that describes all the chemical processes going on continuously inside your body to keep you alive and all organs functioning – such as repairing cells, breathing, digesting food. Some factors such as your age, gender, sex, genes, amount of physical activity, and diet may affect the speed of your metabolism. Wondering what you can do to boost your metabolism? Read on.
Ways to speed up your metabolism and lose weight fast
Here are a few tips to increase your metabolism to help you reach your weight loss goal much faster:
- Stick to your exercise routine: Exercising every day helps you burn more calories – especially when you include activities like swimming or biking that get your heart rate up. Regular physical activity becomes even more important as you grow older as you naturally lose muscle mass, which slows down your metabolism. So, maintaining your fitness routine, whether you’re running or doing Zumba, will reset and supercharge your metabolism, helping you burn more calories and shed pounds quickly.
- Include a high-intensity workout: Adding high-intensity workouts to your routine may be a great strategy to boost your metabolism. Research suggests that high-intensity interval training can increase your metabolic rate than other types of exercise, helping your body burn more fat even after your workout has finished. For instance, one study involving overweight young men reported that doing high-intensity exercise for 12 weeks resulted in a reduction of fat mass by 4.4 pounds (2 kg) and belly fat by 17 per cent.
- Do strength training: Try doing some muscle-strengthening activities that work all major muscle groups, including the abdomen, chest, arms, legs, hips, back, and shoulders. Aim to do for two or more days per week to increase your muscle mass, which will help you lose weight.
- Stand up more: Prolonged sitting has been dubbed ‘the new smoking’. Perhaps, you already know how sitting too much can harm your health, including a higher risk of unhealthy weight gain as you burn fewer calories. If you have a desk job, try to stand up regularly or consider investing in a standing desk.
- Eat a healthy diet: Consuming certain foods and drinks may help boost your metabolism – such as spicy foods like peppers, green tea, coffee, etc. Getting an adequate amount of protein from your diet can help increase your metabolism so that your body burns more calories.
Making simple lifestyle changes and sticking to them can increase your metabolism and help you achieve your weight loss goal.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.