Home Healthy Eating Enjoy the holidays with healthy choices – Daily Commercial

Enjoy the holidays with healthy choices – Daily Commercial

Lori Johnson
 |  For the Daily Commercial

This time of year brings about holiday meals and family food traditions that often lead to increased calories. We frequently pile on extra servings of our favorite foods during the holiday season, only to then make the New Year’s resolution to start choosing healthier foods. This year, why not enjoy your holiday favorites while incorporating healthier choices too.

In leading up to a holiday meal, don’t skip meals becau your body needs a balance of food to give you energy throughout the day to be able to function and complete daily activities. By skipping meals, you will go into the next meal starving, which will cause you to overeat and your body will not be able to process all that you are consuming.

When eating use a 9” or smaller plate to help control your portion sizes. To build your plate visually divide it into three sections. First, fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables. Start with salads, then add other vegetables focusing on those that are steamed or roasted. Fresh or dried herbs and spices can add flavor without adding calories. Choose appetizers and sides that contain fruit for added nutrition.

When selecting your fruits and vegetables make sure to vary the color, as this will provide different vitamins and minerals and health benefits. Next, add the protein of your choice to one quarter of your plate. Try to select lean meats, trim off any fat, and remove the skin. Go easy when adding sauces and gravies, remember a little goes a long way.

Don’t miss out on the flavors of your food by covering them up while adding extra calories to your plate. Next, add grains to the final quarter of your plate. Focus on whole grains, sides made with whole wheat flour, whole cornmeal and brown rice. These healthy choices contain more fiber which aid in digestion and add to the health of your heart. Finally, don’t forget the dairy to round out your balanced plate.

After eating, take time to enjoy conversation, with those around you, to let your food digest before rushing back for seconds. After any meal, not just a holiday meal, it’s a great time to take a walk with the family around the neighborhood to take in physical activity and aid in digestion. When its time for dessert choose one and save one for the next day.

Decrease the food that is wasted and enjoy leftovers by freezing into single serve meals to enjoy holiday favorites well after the special day. Following these mealtime strategies will help you focus on enjoying family time as you make healthier choices through the holiday season.

An Equal Opportunity Institution. UF/IFAS Extension, University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Nick T. Place, dean for UF/IFAS Extension. Single copies of UF/IFAS Extension publications (excluding 4-H and youth publications) are available free to Florida residents from county UF/IFAS Extension offices.

Lori Johnson is the UF/IFAS Extension Lake County Family & Consumer Science Agent 1. She can be emailed at lorijohnson@ufl.edu

1. zortilo nrel

November 14, 2020 at 10:34 am

Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I likewise think this s a very great website.

2. Randy Castellani

May 10, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

3. Digna Beddia

May 12, 2021 at 3:40 am

4. storno brzinol

May 13, 2021 at 7:40 am

You have brought up a very great details, thankyou for the post.

5. Patrina Duchatellier

May 16, 2021 at 7:42 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/05/those-body-scanners-back-in-the-news-again/

6. Magnolia Woodring

May 17, 2021 at 10:24 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

7. Dominque Eastes

May 19, 2021 at 7:14 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/boeing-changes-the-767-production-line-and-plans-to-keep-building-more/

8. Dewey Scozzari

May 20, 2021 at 6:07 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Raleigh Frommer

May 20, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

10. Rebecca Heath

May 21, 2021 at 8:09 pm

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/its-alive-video-of-the-new-boeing-747-8-intercontinental-powering-up/

11. Ernestine Obery

May 23, 2021 at 7:18 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

12. Foster Salsberg

May 28, 2021 at 8:01 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

13. Quiana Macmillen

May 29, 2021 at 8:26 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

14. Dwain Bren

May 30, 2021 at 9:10 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

15. Camille Sarullo

May 31, 2021 at 7:52 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

16. Weston Mobley

June 9, 2021 at 8:57 am

17. Hope Amat

June 15, 2021 at 12:19 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs