Home Health News CDC: Wearing a mask could keep you from catching virus – The Associated Press

CDC: Wearing a mask could keep you from catching virus – The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. health officials are taking a new tack to encourage Americans to wear masks: They’re emphasizing recent research that a mask protects the person who wears it.

Previously, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advised people to wear masks because of evidence that it stops people who are infected with coronavirus — whether they know it or not — from spreading it to others.

But this week the CDC posted a new scientific brief discussing recent studies finding that a wearer gets some protection.

The agency’s guidance didn’t change. It continues to advise Americans to wear masks to stop the virus from spreading.

“But now we’re saying here’s another reason” to do it, said Dr. John Brooks, chief medical officer for the CDC’s COVID-19 emergency response.

Agency officials were influenced by a recent study led by Japanese researchers who used mannequin heads and artificial respirators to simulate the spread of coronavirus particles through the air, and assess how well masks blocked transmission.

It confirmed earlier research that masks work best when worn by an infected person who might spread it by coughing, sneezing or talking. Masks block about 60% of the amount of virus that comes out of an infected person, the study found.

But the researchers also found there was benefit when an uninfected person wearing a mask was unlucky enough to be near an infected person who wasn’t wearing one. In that scenario, the amount of virus the uninfected person inhaled fell by 37% — to 50% — if they wore a mask.

When both people were wearing masks, the decline in virus particles reaching the second person was largest — close to 70%.

The study didn’t perfectly mimic most real-world situations. For example, the heads were closer together than six feet, and the exhaling mannequin head was doing more of a constant cough than regular breathing.

But Brooks said the value of everyone wearing masks is suggested by several other studies of real-world situations — including one of customers in a Missouri hair salon, another on a U.S. aircraft carrier, and several others that tracked infections and deaths in places that adopted mask mandates.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

1. Tashia Jayme

May 10, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

2. Vincent Kurkjian

May 12, 2021 at 2:02 am

3. Dwana Fattore

May 16, 2021 at 7:27 pm

I don’t know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/boeing-787-dreamliner-deliveries-could-be-pushed-to-2011/

4. Ying Poeschel

May 17, 2021 at 10:08 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

5. Margart Cord

May 17, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/03/aviation-in-the-small-town-of-bethel-alaska/

6. Velva Val

May 19, 2021 at 6:57 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/01/airline-livery-of-the-week-american-airlines-livery-stinks/

7. Young Sigg

May 20, 2021 at 5:48 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

8. Archie Pavon

May 21, 2021 at 7:54 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/the-very-first-boeing-747-rolls-out-of-boeings-hangars-68yrs-ago/

9. thuê phòng hội thảo

May 22, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Keep working ,great job!

10. Emile Vowell

May 28, 2021 at 7:48 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

11. Valerie Kawaiaea

May 29, 2021 at 8:11 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

12. Kiersten Vandekamp

May 30, 2021 at 8:57 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

13. Mathilda Burgert

June 5, 2021 at 7:57 am

14. Son Semasko

June 9, 2021 at 11:15 am

15. Adolph Alman

June 13, 2021 at 8:13 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/interview-talking-with-detroit-airport-about-wi-fi-internet/

16. Sung Kingery

June 21, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs