Home Health News LA County probing if fast-spreading coronavirus strain linked to surge in cases – Fox News

Scientists in Los Angeles are trying to figure out if the fast-spreading strain of the coronavirus fueling a huge surge in cases in the United Kingdom is behind a similar rise in California.

The mutation is up to 70 percent more contagious, but it doesn’t appear to be any more deadly.

COVID-19 is out of control in Los Angeles County and other parts of California despite lockdowns and other efforts to stem the spread, with the state passing 2 million cases on Christmas Eve.

BEVERLY HILLS RESTAURANT CAUGHT PLANNING ‘DISCRETE’ NEW YEAR’S DINNER AMID DINING BAN

Officials have blamed the surge on holiday gatherings and travel but are also pointing to more mundane activities like shopping as potential causes for the continued spread.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is among those wondering if the new variant of the virus could be behind the huge numbers.

“This happened devastatingly quickly. Everybody I talked to said this acceleration was beyond any model and any expectation, so then people say ‘What broke down?’ and I’ve got to think it’s partly the strain that was out there,” Garcetti said in an interview with The Los Angeles Times.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

LA County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said a public health laboratory is starting to do gene sequencing to test virus samples collected there, but it will take about a week to get the results.

This article first appeared in the New York Post.

1. frolep rotrem

February 6, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Amazing blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. Rudy Valla

May 10, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

3. Alexa Gilstrap

May 12, 2021 at 6:19 am

4. stornobrzinol

May 14, 2021 at 2:50 pm

It is really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

5. Cruz Manoni

May 23, 2021 at 7:28 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

6. Porsche Alsbury

May 28, 2021 at 8:12 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

7. Dierdre Stracener

May 30, 2021 at 9:22 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

8. Latonya Bellido

May 31, 2021 at 8:04 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

9. Everette Sunde

June 3, 2021 at 2:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

10. Miki Weltha

June 9, 2021 at 12:17 pm

11. Bryant Yasurek

June 12, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs