Home Health Tips 13 Mental Health Tips I’ve Learning While Reporting Through the Pandemic – SELF

13 Mental Health Tips I’ve Learning While Reporting Through the Pandemic – SELF

“Denial is a defense mechanism for a reason,” Jor-El Caraballo, L.M.H.C., therapist and cofounder of Brooklyn-based therapy practice Viva Wellness, previously told me. “You just have to watch that you don’t use it at the exclusion of other tools.” If you need more convincing, read this article by my colleague Hannah Pasternak, where she dove into exactly why you shouldn’t feel bad about distracting yourself from the stresses of 2020 (and beyond).

5. But find some way to process all your emotions.

Which is easier said than done, I know. But it is and remains crucial. “When you’re busy numbing out your feelings, your feelings are in the other room doing push-ups,” Caroline Fenkel, D.S.W., L.C.S.W., executive director of Newport Academy, previously told me. “Then, when you’re done smoking weed or watching Netflix or whatever you were doing to numb out, and you walk into the other room, you’re like, Wait a minute. These feelings are worse than they were before. That’s because you gave them all that time and space to do push-ups.”

Which is all to say: If we don’t periodically give ourselves space to process and grieve and feel all the baggage that continues to come with this pandemic, we are giving that pain a shit-ton of time to do pushups. To learn how to process those emotions, read this article on emotional regulation, this guide to starting a journaling practice, or tbh…half the articles I link to throughout this post. We all process differently, and it doesn’t hurt to have plenty of ideas to choose from.

6. Cut “should” from your self-talk vocabulary.

This is another therapy trick that I’ve loved for a long time but that became even more relevant amid the pandemic. There was so much messaging about what we should and shouldn’t be doing during the pandemic (throwback to when I convinced myself I should use the pandemic to write another book, lol) and should and shouldn’t be feeling. And all that does is make us feel guilty and ashamed and inadequate—which is why therapists continue to recommend interfering when you catch yourself should-ing yourself.

There’s more to it than that, of course, including how to actually resist the siren song of should. I touched on it in this early pandemic article, right when my inner voice was full of shoulds.

7. Learn skills to deal with common cognitive distortions.

Humans fall into mental traps known as cognitive distortions all the time, pandemic or not, but oh boy did a few cognitive distortions have a field day in 2020. Namely, catastrophizing (when you assume the worst will happen), all-or-nothing thinking (when you think—and worry—in absolute terms), and future telling (when you convince yourself you know how things will work out despite not having proof). Just to name a few.

Why this year? “Because our anxiety baseline is so high right now, for understandable reasons, we are overestimating threat and falling into all-or-nothing thinking,” Andrea Bonior, Ph.D., licensed clinical psychologist and author of Detox Your Thoughts: Quit Negative Self-Talk for Good and Discover the Life You’ve Always Wanted, told me for an article about dealing with all our existential pandemic anxiety. “Even if there’s truth to a thought—like there’s a chance of infection if you go to the grocery store—not all thoughts that are partly true are functional and helpful.”

Anyway, these thought patterns are the target of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and let me tell you, CBT exercises came in real handy this year and I don’t see that changing. Incidentally, that article I linked to above is full of tips on getting started and there are a few workbooks in this roundup that can get you started, too.

8. Take things one day at a time if you need to.

Okay, I know that ~taking things one day at a time~ and ~focusing on the present~ are really annoying platitudes, and that’s not what I mean. I mean strategically ignoring the future so you don’t spiral out about all of the uncertainty in the world or all the ways COVID-19 has set fire to your life.

1. frolep rotrem

January 31, 2021 at 4:06 pm

Hello. impressive job. I did not imagine this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

2. frolep rotrem

February 10, 2021 at 1:16 pm

As soon as I detected this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

3. Ok Vanderboom

May 11, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

4. Stephan Schall

May 12, 2021 at 10:27 am

5. storno brzinol

May 13, 2021 at 8:42 am

The very core of your writing whilst appearing reasonable originally, did not sit properly with me after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you managed to make me a believer unfortunately just for a while. I still have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you would do nicely to help fill in those breaks. In the event you can accomplish that, I could undoubtedly be impressed.

6. Gabriel Berardo

May 16, 2021 at 11:14 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/wear-an-ugly-sweater-and-win-a-trip-to-new-zealand-on-air-new-zealand/

7. Wilton Kudrle

May 18, 2021 at 8:36 am

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/12/airline-livery-of-the-week-alaska-airlines-spirit-of-disneyland-ii/

8. Claud Schade

May 20, 2021 at 9:37 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

9. Clelia Nienaber

May 28, 2021 at 10:20 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

10. Tyrone Lanuza

May 29, 2021 at 11:00 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

11. 출장마사지

May 29, 2021 at 11:22 am

Right here is the right site for everyone who wants to find out about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want toÖHaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a subject that has been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just wonderful!

12. Sophia Lasseson

May 30, 2021 at 11:49 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

13. Sydney Jarecki

June 7, 2021 at 12:11 pm

14. Leon Divenere

June 13, 2021 at 10:59 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/are-spirit-airlines-new-carry-on-fees-really-that-crazy/

15. Krystyna Strazzullo

June 14, 2021 at 1:37 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/10/video-space-shuttle-being-mounted-on-boeing-747/

16. 울산출장안마

June 18, 2021 at 8:09 pm

When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service? Cheers!