Home Health News UK coronavirus variant most likely to spread among this age group, study suggests – Fox News

A new coronavirus variant discovered in the United Kingdom is now making its rounds in the U.S., with the B.1.1.7 variant most recently identified in New York in a man who has no recent travel history.

The variant is said to be more transmissible than COVID-19 — though as of now, it’s not thought to be more virulent or resistant to vaccines and treatment. That said, a new study suggests who may be most at risk for contracting B.1.1.7: Those under 20 years of age.

The study, which was conducted by researchers at Imperial College London and others and has not yet been peer-reviewed, found that those under 20 years of age are more likely to make up a higher percentage of B.1.1.7 cases — or what is identified in the study as the “Variant of Concern” or VOC.

Available data indicates “a shift in the age composition of reported cases, with a larger share of under 20-year-olds among reported VOC than non-VOC cases,” per the study.

DAILY CORONAVIRUS CASES IN CALIFORNIA SURGE PAST 45,000

However, the researchers said that it’s too soon to determine the “mechanism behind this change,” noting that it could have been influenced, in part, by “the variants spread coinciding with a period where lockdown was in force but schools were open.”

“Further research is ongoing on the specific nature of any changes in how the virus affects this age group,” noted a press release on the findings.

Unlike COVID-19, the B.1.1.7 may be more likely to infect children, suggests the study, which echoes concerns expressed by Professor Neil Ferguson, a scientist at Imperial College London and a study author, in December.

At the time, Ferguson warned that early analysis “hints that it has a higher propensity to infect children.”

“If it were true, then this might explain a significant proportion, maybe even the majority, of the transmission increase seen,” he added, per the BBC.

US CORONAVIRUS DEATH TOLL SURPASSES 350,000 AS EXPERTS ANTICIPATE POST-HOLIDAY SURGE

The Imperial College London study also estimated the reproduction number (R0) of the new variant to be between 1.4 and 1.8.

“These analyses, which have informed UK government planning in recent weeks, show that the new variant of concern, B.1.1.7, has substantially higher transmissibility than previous SARS-CoV-2 viruses circulating in the U.K.,” said Ferguson in a statement. “This will make control more difficult and further accentuates the urgency of rolling out vaccination as quickly as possible.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“All viruses evolve, and very rarely a virus will change in a way that requires us to re-evaluate public health policy,” added Dr. Erik Volz, a scientist at Imperial College London and one of the study authors, in a statement. “We find overwhelming evidence of a change in transmissibility of the B.1.1.7 variant that should be taken into account when planning our COVID-19 response in the new year.”

Fox News’ Kayla Rivas contributed to this report.

1. Ken Chandrasekhar

May 10, 2021 at 9:00 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

2. Johnathon Mehaffy

May 12, 2021 at 12:03 am

3. Roland Gianopoulos

May 16, 2021 at 6:38 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/04/inside-the-flagship-detroit-american-airlines-dc-3/

4. Alba Gillan

May 17, 2021 at 9:18 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

5. Rodolfo Sandoz

May 17, 2021 at 7:13 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/the-graphical-history-of-united-and-continental-airlines/

6. Suellen Oppelt

May 19, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

7. Dinorah Spadea

May 20, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

8. Michele Risler

May 21, 2021 at 7:03 pm

I don’t know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/southwest-airlines-reponds-to-airtrans-cattle-video/

9. Hisako Grossetete

May 23, 2021 at 6:25 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

10. Emory Inloes

May 28, 2021 at 7:04 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

11. Kirby Foskey

May 29, 2021 at 7:17 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

12. Lesley Medici

June 13, 2021 at 8:06 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/alaska-airlines-boeing-and-others-work-towards-using-sustainable-biofuels/