Home Health News California says seniors 65 and over will get priority on coronavirus vaccine – The Daily Breeze

In an effort to speed the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine to people most at risk of dying, California state officials on Wednesday announced that people 65 and over will be eligible to receive the vaccine sooner than had previously been planned.

Under new guidelines from the California Department of Public Health, people in Phase 1A of the state’s tiered system – health care workers and nursing home residents – are still eligible to receive vaccines. After those people are given vaccines, seniors 65 and older will be in the next group.

The state is setting up system to let people know if they are eligible to receive a vaccine, and if not yet eligible, to register for a notification via email or text when they are, Newsom’s office announced. That system is expected to launch next week.

A second phase of that system will help counties, cities and others run mass vaccination events at stadiums, fairgrounds and other locations. It will allow eligible members of the public to schedule vaccination appointments at those events. In addition to mass vaccination events, people also will be able to go to their doctor or pharmacy to receive the vaccine as more becomes available from the federal government, Newsom’s office said.

“There is no higher priority than efficiently and equitably distributing these vaccines as quickly as possible to those who face the gravest consequences,” Newsom said in a statement. “Individuals 65 and older are now the next group eligible to start receiving vaccines. To those not yet eligible for vaccines, your turn is coming. We are doing everything we can to bring more vaccine into the state.”

The Trump administration announced it was reversing course. The Centers for Disease Control on Tuesday began recommending that states expand access to Covid-19 vaccines to everyone 65 and older to speed up vaccine rollout.

The Trump administration had promised that 50 million doses would be administered nationwide by the end of January through Operation Warp Speed, it’s vaccine program. But through Tuesday, it had delivered just 25 million doses nationwide, and just under 9 million shots had been given, according to the CDC.

The federal government’s priority system, ranked by occupation and risk, and California’s similar system, have been widely viewed as too cumbersome and slow.

There is no question that older Americans have been hit hardest by the pandemic. Of the 31,102 deaths in California since the disaster began last year, 75% have been people 65 and older, and 94% have been people 50 and older, according to state statistics.

And it has not been spread evenly through California. Through Wednesday, 66% of the state’s total COVID deaths have occurred in just five of California’s 58 counties, all of them in Southern California — Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, San Diego and San Bernardino.

The nine Bay Area counties have accounted for just 10% of the statewide deaths — 3,148 — even though they have 20% of the state’s population. Of the nine Bay Area counties, Santa Clara has the most deaths, with 986, followed by Alameda with 763, Contra Costa with 392, San Mateo with 268 and San Francisco with 235.

This story will be updated.

1. zortilo nrel

March 21, 2021 at 7:00 pm

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

2. astra theme 2021

April 30, 2021 at 6:28 pm

I have been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I never found any fascinating article like yours. It’s pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the net will be much more useful than ever before. “Dignity is not negotiable. Dignity is the honor of the family.” by Vartan Gregorian.

3. Houston Carmody

May 11, 2021 at 12:43 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

4. storno brzinol

May 17, 2021 at 2:16 am

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem along with your site in web explorer, may check this… IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good element of people will omit your excellent writing due to this problem.

5. New face plasztika

May 24, 2021 at 3:07 am

Terrific paintings! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Disgrace on Google for no longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)

6. Ora Rollerson

June 5, 2021 at 4:12 pm

7. Mercedez Edrington

June 8, 2021 at 12:33 am

8. Joann Bomar

June 12, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

9. this link

June 16, 2021 at 12:52 pm

I love the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great posts.

10. redirected here

July 16, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent. I am also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

11. create wordpress website

July 28, 2021 at 9:49 pm

Thanks , I’ve just been looking for information about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive about the supply?

12. create website

July 28, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Good ?V I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

13. wordpress website tutorial

July 29, 2021 at 3:33 am

It is in reality a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

14. favlive

August 1, 2021 at 12:27 am

Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a fair price? Thanks, I appreciate it!