Home Health News Los Angeles lifts air-quality limits for cremations amid a backlog of bodies caused by COVID-19 – Fox News

A California air quality agency has temporarily suspended limits on how many bodies can be cremated amid a lack of storage space for those who died from the novel coronavirus.

The South Coast Air Quality Management District issued an emergency order on Sunday that temporarily suspends permit requirements for crematoriums for at least the next 10 days in Los Angeles County.

The air pollution agency limits the number of human remains that may be cremated each month, based on potential air quality impacts. However, the pandemic has caused the current death rate to skyrocket, placing a strain on hospitals, funeral homes, and crematoriums.

CORONAVIRUS HAS INFECTED 1 IN 3 PEOPLE IN LOS ANGELES SINCE START OF PANDEMIC: OFFICIALS

National Guard members assist with processing COVID-19 deaths and placing them into temporary storage at the medical examiner-coroner’s office in Los Angeles on Jan. 12, 2021.  (Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner via AP, File)

“The current rate of death is more than double that of pre-pandemic years, leading to hospitals, funeral homes, and crematoriums exceeding capacity without the ability to process the backlog of cases,” South Coast AQMD said in a news release.

The order came at the request of the L.A. County coroner’s office and the L.A. County Department of Public Health “to protect public health and to respond to the current emergency.”

As of Jan. 15, more than 2,700 bodies were being stored at local area hospitals and the coroner’s office in L.A. County, according to the order.

Refrigerated trucks and members of the National Guard were recently sent to the county to help the coroner handle the temporary storage, KTLA reported.

Meanwhile, a report released last week by Los Angeles County Health Services said an estimated one in three people in Los Angeles have been infected with COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.

LOS ANGELES STUDENTS REQUIRED TO GET COVID-19 VACCINE (ONE AVAILABLE) BEFORE RETURN TO SCHOOL

Earlier this month, health officials said that a person was dying every eight minutes from the virus in L.A. County.

The emergency order lifting the limits noted that the coroner anticipates another surge as a result of the New Year’s holiday, “since deaths tend to occur 4-6 weeks after gatherings.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

As of early Tuesday, Los Angeles County has reported more than 1,024,190 confirmed coronavirus cases and at least 13,936 deaths from the virus. There are 7,328 people currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 23% of whom are in the ICU, according to the latest numbers in the county.

Fox News’ Madeline Farber contributed to this report

1. Antone Haber

May 11, 2021 at 7:52 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

2. Laveta Gubitosi

May 12, 2021 at 8:38 am

3. Usha Opiola

May 16, 2021 at 9:36 pm

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/video-american-airlines-commercial-1972-introducing-the-luxury-liner-fleet/

4. Norbert Kaea

May 18, 2021 at 7:20 am

I don’t know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/05/baggage-fees-are-going-up-up-up/

5. Eliza Mohseni

May 19, 2021 at 9:07 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/sometimes-airlines-arent-evil/

6. Mariel Guyott

May 20, 2021 at 8:09 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

7. Eusebia Willette

May 21, 2021 at 6:39 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

8. Doretta Kubish

May 22, 2021 at 6:44 am

I don’t know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/08/the-airline-blogs-livery-of-the-day-iron-maiden/

9. Irena Derian

May 23, 2021 at 8:36 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

10. Geraldo Illovsky

May 28, 2021 at 9:22 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

11. Hai Parenteau

May 30, 2021 at 10:47 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

12. Jesus Henneberg

May 31, 2021 at 9:31 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

13. Daryl Mcmurdie

June 5, 2021 at 5:17 pm

14. Donn Hollimon

June 9, 2021 at 10:21 am

15. Daisy Kopp

June 13, 2021 at 7:24 am

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/4222/

16. Derrick Wanger

June 13, 2021 at 9:59 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/08/congress-looks-to-ban-cell-phones-on-airlines/

17. Donn Cantrall

June 15, 2021 at 8:19 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

18. Ghislaine Dewoody

June 21, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs