Home Health News Michigan Athletics put on 14-day pause due to surge in COVID-19 cases – The Michigan Daily

All University of Michigan athletics will be paused for two weeks starting Sunday, Jan. 24 in accordance with an order from the state health department according to messages obtained by The Daily and confirmed by a source close to the athletic department. The order, which halts all athletic activity including practice, is limited exclusively to U-M athletics after a recent influx of positive cases within several Michigan teams.

According to a statement released by the athletic department Saturday night, the Wolverines have been following Big Ten testing and reporting protocals, but the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is taking a more stringent approach to the novel COVID-19 B.1.1.7 variant.

A source told The Daily that there were five confirmed cases of the new variant, with 15 more presumed positives throughout the athletic department. The novel strain was first introduced at the beginning of the semester by a U-M athlete travelling from the United Kingdom. All members of the athletic department are expected to quarantine for 14 days.

“Canceling competitions is never something we want to do, but with so many unknowns about this variant of COVID-19, we must do everything we can to minimize the spread among student-athletes, coaches, staff, and to the student-athletes at other schools,” said athletic director Warde Manuel in the statement released Saturday night.

This past week 22 student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 per release, 13 more than the week prior. No coaches or staff tested positive.

As of Sunday morning, 87.2% of Michigan’s athletic contests have been played. By the end of Jan. 6, that percentage will plummet to 59.6%. Saturday, the women’s basketball team rescheduled its postponed game against Michigan State for this week. The Wolverines had their own outbreak in early December after a match against Butler in which a Bulldog tested positive the day after the game, leading to two missed games.

The men’s basketball team played on Friday at Purdue, even as a Boilermaker tested positive the day of the game. The volleyball team had their opening contest against Penn State this weekend postponed because of positive tests within the Penn State program.

While reports indicate that neither of the basketball programs or hockey programs have had no positive tests, they still not will be allowed to play.

According to the release, no determination has been made on how the pause will impact schedules after Feb. 7.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here.

1. King Nayee

June 1, 2021 at 6:31 am

2. Malcolm Galanga

June 9, 2021 at 8:02 am

3. Albert Gutherie

June 13, 2021 at 10:50 am

I don’t know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/looking-at-airline-job-changes-some-airlines-add-most-lose/

4. Darcey Sias

June 13, 2021 at 11:48 am

I don’t know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/05/things-that-go-bump-in-the-flight/

5. Hilario Meikle

June 14, 2021 at 3:45 am

I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/03/avoid-all-the-new-airline-fees-and-ride-in-the-cargo-hold/

6. Royal Idemoto

June 15, 2021 at 12:36 pm

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

7. Geraldo Wages

June 22, 2021 at 2:04 am

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs