Home Weight Loss Tips This One Simple Diet Tweak Fuels Lasting Weight Loss, Expert Says | Eat This Not That – Eat This, Not That

Losing weight sits at the top of New Year’s Resolutions lists, no matter what the year. And though there are many (many!) different ways to drop unwanted—and unhealthy—pounds, few of them are sustainable for the long-term.

But I know a method that will help you shed stubborn weight and keep it from creeping back on. And there is a very good chance you haven’t tried it before.

When I was doing research for the nutrition program I developed, I was stunned to learn that one simple diet tweak can make an enormous difference when it comes to energy levels, sleep quality, skin health, and yes—weight loss: Eliminating added sugars. (Related: 15 Underrated Weight Loss Tips That Actually Work.)

So What’s an Added Sugar?

Added sugars are sugars that are added to foods and beverages when they are processed or prepared. (Naturally occurring sugars, on the other hand, are ones you’d find in fruit and dairy).

The American Heart Association recommends that men consume no more than 150 calories in added sugars daily, and women 100. But most of us are eating more than twice that amount—every single day!

Studies show that eating so much sugar significantly raises your risk of life-shortening obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.

Beyond that, over-consumption of sugar can wreak havoc on your mental health.

The Evil Siblings of Added Sugars

To unmask the true culprits behind excess weight and poor health, I have to mention two related nutritional enemies: refined carbohydrates and artificial sweeteners.

Refined carbs (also known as simple carbs) are processed foods that have been stripped of nutrients. For example, to make white bread, manufacturers remove the outer coating of a wheat kernel (known as the bran) and the germ—the good stuff. Only the inner endosperm is then ground into flour. Refined carbs can spike blood sugar and accelerate hunger pangs, leading to weight gain, so ditch them in favor of healthier complex carbs.

Artificial sweeteners, which usually come in brightly colored packets, are touted as the healthier alternative to sugar, but they come with a laundry list of potential health issues—including weight gain. Yes, that diet soda you think is helping you stay slim may be making you fatter.

How to Spot—and Cut—Hidden Sugars

Food manufacturers use technology to produce foods that are inexpensive to make but irresistibly appetizing. Scientists engineer these products to have just the right amount of sweetness to make you crave more…and more…and then sneakily slip it into almost everything we eat—bread, yogurt, salad dressing, pasta sauce, peanut butter, pizza and tons of other things lining supermarket shelves.

In Sugar Free 3, I teach you exactly how to read a nutrition facts label and ingredients list so that you can spot the sneaky places sugar hides. There are over 60 aliases for sugar, so you need to know what you’re looking for. Here’s a tip to get you started: Flip over the food package and look for the nutrition facts. Under “Total Carbohydrates,” you may see another line that says “Added Sugars.” You want that to read “0.” Not all food makers have to list added sugars so transparently, but thanks to new label laws, eventually, they will have to come clean.

For 9 more ways to maximize weight loss, read this right now.

1. frolep rotrem

February 6, 2021 at 3:07 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

2. zortilo nrel

February 7, 2021 at 5:08 pm

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

3. vreyrolinomit

February 25, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

4. vreyro linomit

February 26, 2021 at 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you¦ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a perfect web site.

5. storno brzinol

May 18, 2021 at 3:40 am

I and also my buddies were checking the great helpful tips from your web blog then at once got an awful feeling I had not expressed respect to the website owner for those secrets. My women happened to be so joyful to learn them and have actually been having fun with them. Appreciate your truly being really kind and also for getting certain superior subject matter most people are really desirous to be informed on. Our sincere regret for not saying thanks to you earlier.

6. Carolyne Biccum

June 1, 2021 at 6:31 am

7. Destiny Stockhoff

June 6, 2021 at 8:13 am

8. Ursula Tridenti

June 13, 2021 at 11:51 pm

I don’t know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don’t know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/photo-boeing-747-8-intercontinental-out-in-the-snow/

9. calcium enriched foods

July 13, 2021 at 8:56 am

I enjoy you because of all of your work on this website. Debby delights in going through internet research and it’s obvious why. All of us hear all regarding the compelling mode you render efficient guidelines through your blog and as well boost participation from other people on that theme and my daughter is really understanding a lot of things. Take advantage of the rest of the new year. You’re carrying out a really good job.